Parents Sue Police Over Death of Down Syndrome Man

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
This news article was on my homepage when I started up my complicator. Parents sue deputies in death of man with down syndrome at Maryland movie theater

The parents claim the police deputies (who were moonlighting as mall security) caused the man's "violent, terrifying, and painful death" when they attempted to remove him from the theater where he had apparently tried to sneak in to see a movie without a ticket.

"As the deputies manhandled Mr. Saylor, they fractured his larynx, making it difficult for him to breathe," the suit charges..."

"... an attorney for the sheriff's office, disputed that account, telling The Associated Press that Saylor's Adam's apple could have been damaged when paramedics inserted a breathing tube."

IMHO, this is just sad all around.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Where was his caregiver/attendant while this was happening?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

Aidey

From what i heard the caregiver left to go get the car at which point he reentered the theater after already punching a glass window

I number of the stories I read said that she came back inside and was there before the security guards tackled him. She tried to explain he had downs and didn't like to be touched and they needed to let her handle it, and they ignored her.

CFal

Forum Captain
the MAN with downs syndrome was over 300 pounds pounds and violent, having a disability is not free reign for law breaking. The officers did not intend for him to die, but :censored::censored::censored::censored: happens. "Oh, ignore him. Leave him alone and eventually he will calm down" a viable approach.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
the MAN with downs syndrome was over 300 pounds pounds and violent, having a disability is not free reign for law breaking. The officers did not intend for him to die, but :censored::censored::censored::censored: happens. "Oh, ignore him. Leave him alone and eventually he will calm down" a viable approach.

Its unfortunate, but this is true just because he is mentally handicapped dosen't mean he is above the law.

Unfotunately alot of individuals who have down syndrome or the similar can develop great strengths when frightened.

Aidey

Its unfortunate, but this is true just because he is mentally handicapped dosen't mean he is above the law.

Unfotunately alot of individuals who have down syndrome or the similar can develop great strengths when frightened.

Ya'all realize that he was attempting to re-enter a movie, not walk out of a store with $1000 of merchandise right? And you do realize there is a difference between giving him free reign, and allowing his caregiver to step in and calm him down right?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

Different approaches need to be taken with adults with developmental disabilities. Yes, he was chronologically an adult, but treating him in the same way as other adults and expecting him to respond identically is asking for trouble. I wasn't there and will try not to pass judgement, but there's quite a large variation in what it means to "break the law."

CFal

Forum Captain
At 300 pounds he's capable of doing damage when he gets violent, which from accounts he was prior to the arrival of the officers

CFal

Forum Captain
And his caregivers approach to calming him down was to ignore him until he calmed himself down

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
He had a fractured larynx.

The police department tried to blame it on EMS when they intubated him.

They hog tied an obese, mentally retarded man in a face down position. Someone they were warned would not have the mental capacity to comprehend their commands. A position that we KNOW causes death.

The medical examiner said it was homicide.

I agree.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

They hog tied an obese, mentally retarded man in a face down position. Someone they were warned would not have the mental capacity to comprehend their commands. A position that we KNOW causes death.

I agree.
Imo, they responded with equal force to what was being directed at them.

CFal

Forum Captain

I agree.
Homicide does not equal murder, there were 20 witnesses that testified on behalf of the officers, hence they were not indicted. They didn't hog tie him, they handcuffed him, nice spin.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
They restrained his hands behind his back in a face down position. In an obese person, we know this has a huge risk of causing death. That's why they teach not to do it. People die because of it.

And EMS fractured his larynx? Give me a break.

There were a whole lot of ways this guy could have been dealt with. It wasn't necessary to kill him.

The cops should be in jail, IMO.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Imo, they responded with equal force to what was being directed at them.

That is the problem. You cannot respond with equal force to what is being directed at you when you are a public servant (or really in any capacity at all). If I threw a punch at a patient every time one tried to hit me there would be an awful lot of trauma. We get paid to deal with violent patients in a more responsible manner then meeting force with force.

I will say that officers in our area have been known to apply a bit of pressure to the airway to help detain violent patients.....I figure this happens in many areas regardless of official policy....

CFal

Forum Captain
That is the problem. You cannot respond with equal force to what is being directed at you when you are a public servant (or really in any capacity at all). If I threw a punch at a patient every time one tried to hit me there would be an awful lot of trauma. We get paid to deal with violent patients in a more responsible manner then meeting force with force.

I will say that officers in our area have been known to apply a bit of pressure to the airway to help detain violent patients.....I figure this happens in many areas regardless of official policy....

umm... yes you can. It's called the use of force continuum.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
You use the level of force needed to subdue them, not automatically give to them what they're giving out.

That's irresponsible, and it's the police meting out punishment. Not their job.

And I guess I missed the part where the guy was restricting their breathing and crushing their airways.

CFal

Forum Captain
You use the level of force needed to subdue them, not automatically give to them what they're giving out.

That's irresponsible, and it's the police meting out punishment. Not their job.

And I guess I missed the part where the guy was restricting their breathing and crushing their airways.

It takes quite a bit of force to subdue a 300 pound man. Your first sentence and last sentence contradict each other. Empty-hand submission techniques are appropriate for an individual actively resisting.