Paramedic Training

Turner

Forum Crew Member
So i am going to paramedic school in the state of nj. I was looking to get my self prepaid for this school and need some suggestions to get a head start on the learning proccess. If anybody has any suggestions that will be great.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you dont have time for an A&P course, buy an A&P book and read it and understand it.

Buy Dale Dubins EKG book, and read it and understand it.

Buy a pharmacology book and read it and understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

Turner

Forum Crew Member
Sorry typed that up fast. What is a A&P course?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry typed that up fast. What is a A&P course?

Anatomy and physiology. Like proper anatomy and physiology out of a decent, 1000 page book egMarieb that is read cover to cover, then cover to cover again. None of that watered down two day for Paramedic colouring book overview bull.

Here is what you really need to do at college level:

Chemistry
Anatomy and Physiology I and II with lab
Pathophysiology (if you can find a general course)
Pharmacology
English
Communications
Scientific Research Methods
Psych 101 is probably a good choice too

Then you are prepared to start learning ALS stuff.

Get a good 12 lead book too (I recommened Lippincott's little brown one) and check out TomB's prehospital 12 lead ECG blog, you need to be learning 12 leads right off the bat none of this three lead nonsense of the 1970s.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Take the classes they are having you take and take the classes they arent requiring that were listed, and you'll be fine :)

OP
OP
T

Turner

Forum Crew Member
Make it longer for me haha. Its scary because everybody says its hard so I want to be extra prepread.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Its scary because everybody says its hard so I want to be extra prepread.

I suggest you start with a couple of English composition courses, in line with MrBrown's suggestion. Your spelling and grammar make it very hard to follow your posts. Fast typing is no excuse for making yourself come across like a pithed Down syndrome patient.

Paramedic programs are not nearly hard enough, especially judging by some of the people who manage to pass and get out into the field. Seriously, anyone who fails does so because they are either dumb enough they have no business ever treating a patient or because they are too lazy to put in the effort. Neither of those bodes well for being placed in the role of a decision maker where lives are at stake. Anyone who tells you that paramedic programs are "so hard" has probably never been truly taxed by the educational system. Hard is medical school, hard is a PhD in astrophysics. Paramedic education in the United States is a joke and we should be ashamed of it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Make it longer for me haha. Its scary because everybody says its hard so I want to be extra prepread.

It is hard, but you should take the classes Brown recommends first and it will make it easier on ya.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
See, more people should listen to Brown :D :D: :D

Shut it you. If we all said that your head wouldn't be able to fit through the door anymore :p

firecoins

IFT Puppet
So i am going to paramedic school in the state of nj. I was looking to get my self prepaid for this school and need some suggestions to get a head start on the learning proccess. If anybody has any suggestions that will be great.

The best way to get prepaid is pay before hand.

Last edited by a moderator: