Paramedic skills testing

weezeehamilton

Forum Crew Member
If it exists, can anyone recommend somewhere I can get some sample paramedic scenarios from the position of the proctor, meaning the scenarios that would be read to me if I were testing. I'm hoping for something where my wife can go through the scenario as a proctor while I do the skill

OP
OP
weezeehamilton

weezeehamilton

Forum Crew Member
I think he wants actual scenarios like the ones the proctor reads in the patient assessment station.

OP, they're just usually simple patient care scenarios, no real curve balls.
Correct I'm looking for actual scenarios, my wife is a nurse so I think she'd be able to help

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
My wife is a nurse
That may work for a very general practice scenario, but you'd want someone who understands emergency field medicine (and how NREMT testing works) for helpful practice with useful feedback. You're better off buddying up with a classmate.

OP
OP
weezeehamilton

weezeehamilton

Forum Crew Member
That may work for a very general practice scenario, but you'd want someone who understands emergency field medicine (and how NREMT testing works) for helpful practice with useful feedback. You're better off buddying up with a classmate.
I'm not really looking for suggestions as to why something won't work, as much as I'm looking for the option to see if something will work. Thanks though

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm not really looking for suggestions as to why something won't work, as much as I'm looking for the option to see if something will work. Thanks though

I think in this case, you don't know what you don't know. EMS scenarios are set up very differently than those that may apply to a nursing skill set and if you practice and learn the wrong way, you'll fail and never know why.

Practice with an instructor, proctor or past student who won't lead you down the wrong road.

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Lil Weezey, I don't think anything like that exists. Even if it does, the answers/treatments/protocols are very subjective, meaning that what one proctor is looking for might vary from what another proctor. I believe that a lot of these scenarios are made up ahead of time, reviewed by multiple people in order to determine the proper treatment and plans, and then given to you, using what you're learning in school as a basis. Most scenarios during testing involves no curveballs.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I just took it so I will throw in my $0.02. Just Google some scenarios....they aren't going to give you a MVC with an old dude that's out because he had some underlying MI and now you have to manage an MI, head injury, deformity to extremities etc. ....it will all be pretty straight forward. Low O2 sat? Give dat sweet sweet oxygen. Chest pain? ASA/nitro (make sure he doesn't get a little help helpin the ladies). Anaphylaxis? Wee poke of epi. That's about what you can expect.

If anything, take the time to make sure you remember the small details of skills that you have to do and/or say. What is you adult ventilation rate when intubated? Peds? Cardioversion levels for what rhythm? Make sure you aren't ****ing around when intubating, then tell them what makes them happy. Ped OPA insertion vs adult, que es esto? Are you comfortable with cardiology? Saw many failures on that.

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Yes, if I recall correctly I believe there are two oral scenarios. One medical and one trauma. For the medical I literally BLS'ed everything and passed.

OP
OP
weezeehamilton

weezeehamilton

Forum Crew Member
I just took it so I will throw in my $0.02. Just Google some scenarios....they aren't going to give you a MVC with an old dude that's out because he had some underlying MI and now you have to manage an MI, head injury, deformity to extremities etc. ....it will all be pretty straight forward. Low O2 sat? Give dat sweet sweet oxygen. Chest pain? ASA/nitro (make sure he doesn't get a little help helpin the ladies). Anaphylaxis? Wee poke of epi. That's about what you can expect.

If anything, take the time to make sure you remember the small details of skills that you have to do and/or say. What is you adult ventilation rate when intubated? Peds? Cardioversion levels for what rhythm? Make sure you aren't ****ing around when intubating, then tell them what makes them happy. Ped OPA insertion vs adult, que es esto? Are you comfortable with cardiology? Saw many failures on that.
I like your style, lol

ODIE

Forum Probie
My advice to anyone taking your practical exam :

The scenarios that are given to you are very clear, I wasn't thrown any curveballs. Even the med math calculations are straight forward. There is nothing in those testing stations that you haven't learned. I would suggest to get some of your paramedic colleagues to help you. Even if they can't help your local EMS and fire department will be glad to give you some assistance. This was very helpful to me.