Paramedic Reciprocity Texas

JHarper

Forum Ride Along
I am finishing up my NRP certification in South Carolina. We are considering relocating to Texas to be closer to my Wife's family. I was curious if anyone could provide info a little bit more clear than Texas's website on obtaining reciprocity as a Paramedic in Texas. Like I said, I'll already be NREMT certified once I am finished. Thanks for your help! :huh::huh:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I am finishing up my NRP certification in South Carolina. We are considering relocating to Texas to be closer to my Wife's family. I was curious if anyone could provide info a little bit more clear than Texas's website on obtaining reciprocity as a Paramedic in Texas. Like I said, I'll already be NREMT certified once I am finished. Thanks for your help! :huh::huh:

NRP and 6 weeks wait + a LiveScan and background check.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Since you will already be NREMT certified all you will need to do is send in the application from their website and the application fee ($150 I think). You will also need to get your fingerprints taken (info can be found through the same site) for a background check. Thats all there is to it. Just takes a while like everything else that involves paperwork. Good luck.

KELRAG

Forum Probie
It is one of the only steam-lined process that dshs has. Like the previous posters said, just submit an app with finger prints and background check, then magically you receive your card a few weeks later. You can also do a live certification check on the dshs website to see if you have been certified. I submitted all my paperwork before I took my NREMT written, it seemed to be much faster this way.

Also recertification is easy.. Keep your NR and you keep your DSHS

Be Safe

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
NRP and 6 weeks wait + a LiveScan and background check.

Not Livescan, it's actually a different company. And if your state doesn't have hteir offices you have to get hard copy prints done and sent to that company's office and it adds another 4-6 weeks onto your cert time...

At least you're not like me and have DSHS scratching their head about if I needed a background check or not. Reciprocity sicne I have been a NM EMT-P? Or upgrade since I currently work in TX as an EMT-I, did P-school in TX, and my card has been valid for 3 years as an I. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, the finger print company is L1 Solutions. May or may not have one around you.