Paramedic Recert- NREMT

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well, this is my first Paramedic recert and for the life of me, I can not decipher what the NREMT wants from me. I've submitted my CEs and they rejected it saying not enough :huh: Maybe someone here who's done this a time or two can look at my CEs and let me know what I'm missing?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
For the Airway, Breathing, Cardiology section, I have ACLS fulfilling the 8 mandatory and 8 flexible sections, as the NREMTs letter to me indicated it fulfills.

For Medical Emergencies, I have AMLS which they say should fulfil the 3 mandatory and 5 flexible areas.

For Trauma, I have PHTLS, which they say should fulfil the 5 mandatory and 1 flexible areas.

For Obstetrics and Pediatrics, I have PEPP, which they say should fulfil the 8 mandatory and 8 flexible areas.

For Operational Tasks, I have the 2 hours filled by an inservice done at my agency about safe lifting.

That's 48 of 48 hours.

For the 24 hours of continuing ed, I have EMPACT for 16 hours, Cells and Tissues for 1, Intro to pathophys for 0.5, Cell and Tissue Injury for 0.5, GSW to chest for 1, and CPR for 8. That's 27 hours.

I also have the ACLS and CPR sections fulfilled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, their message on their website for me says "There are not enough continuing education hours to fulfill the minimum requirements." So I can only assume that they aren't accepting the 27 hours of CEs I have there, to which I am guessing they won't take the 8 hour CPR course since it's already required elsewhere. Am I right on this?

I'm about to plop down the $100, re-take the CBT and be done with it. Gah.

Edit: Whelp, after looking at the NREMTs FAQ, they do NOT accept CPR class as a CE. Guess they need to NOT hide that away on their site, considering they accept every other card class as CEs. Now to find 5 hours somewhere else... too bad I got my PALS before I got my NREMT, or I'd use that.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you taken A&P or any other college-level science/biology course? I find that's the easiest (and cheapest) way to fulfill the ConEd.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Have you taken A&P or any other college-level science/biology course? I find that's the easiest (and cheapest) way to fulfill the ConEd.

Not since I got my medic, no. Sadly working 24/48 at my last agency didn't really lend itself to college courses. Now that I'm doing a more suitable schedule at an agency that will schedule around school, I'll be able to, but it's a bit late for this recert cycle. Pretty much all my CEs are from card classes / CEs offered by my agency.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Copy that.

Shabbat Shalom.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I'm happy that the NR will do this. Massachusetts will not, however. This has left me in a bit of a lurch...OEMS granted me 3 hours total credit for 3 full semester courses. Sweet. :wacko:

terrible one

Always wandering
College level science classes are the easiest way to do it. I also have taken the refresher classes. They are usually a M-F (8-5) and they give you a paper to turn in that states you completed everything. Then I believe all you need is your medical director to sign your skills sheets.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm happy that the NR will do this. Massachusetts will not, however. This has left me in a bit of a lurch...OEMS granted me 3 hours total credit for 3 full semester courses. Sweet. :wacko:

What was the course in? If it was in something like human biology, A&P, etc then it seems pretty ridiculous for them not to count it for the optional areas of ConEd.