Paramedic Program Preqs Issue

EMTIsee

Forum Crew Member
Well Iv tried to get into paramedic school. But hit a road block, although iv worked many years. My status was still PRN. I supplemented that with another PRN company a BLS only private company. Income was enough to get by. There is always some work with both of them. I learned today the program only takes 6 months full time experienced people. My PRN status did not qualify. Any ways around this?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If that's what the program requires then no. Look for a different program.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never heard of that. Go to a community college.

Dfib23

Forum Probie
I would suggest looking at a different program. Hopefully there is one near you.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Try going to the director with letters from your company saying you have worked so many hours and have this many patient contacts. Maybe you can prove you have enough experience.

Or like others have said. Look elsewhere.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Define "many years". How many shifts/week have you been working?

If you've been working consistently for an extended period of time that's pretty ridiculous. Like others have said a letter from your employer and statistics on calls attended would be your best bet. We get employee reviews annually that include how many calls we responded to/patients we cared for over the previous year. I'd ask and see if your agencies track things similarly.

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
Usually six month full time = 1040 hours.
But I never heard a program allows only full time EMTs to apply unless they are already full.
Most programs I heard only requires some form of 1040hr patient contact times, can be EMT, CNA, CMA, medical scribe, gurney van driver...etc.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Find a different program. I drove an hour each way every day when I did medic school. Maybe there's something else within an hour or two of you?