Paramedic Plus?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I scanned over that last page, but I missed this one. Really? AEDs are sold for a resonable cost? I can't think of the last time I spent $1000 on any one single purchase.

They're not a reasonable price... Although I can think to the last time I dropped 1k on a single thing... What can I say, I like guns and 4x4s :p

medic417

The Truth Provider

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Hey, jet lag + blinding desert sands + Margaritas = not the best decisions of my life.

Don't judge me!

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, EMS employee's here in Monterey county voted to be part of the IAFF union instead of the national EMS union... don't ask me why. The website is fairly new, and it's run by a few emt's/ medics currently employed my AMR monterey. It's a little rough, but get good information out there, better than nothing in my book. I work for a transport company here in monterey co, not amr, and we actually have amr employee's trying to work for us instead!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Monterey EMS employees need to have a frank discussion about IAFF with their "brothers" over at MAST in Kansas City.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It's a little rough, but get good information out there, better than nothing in my book.

I'm sorry, but a tainted perspective from a screwed union that has it's F-ups as well doesn't equate to "better than nothing".

medic417

The Truth Provider
Monterey EMS employees need to have a frank discussion about IAFF with their "brothers" over at MAST in Kansas City.

Real quick it was obvious who the IAFF truly represented even though they were happy to take MAST employee money. They should have to refund every penny they were paid as they did not do what was right for the MAST employees.

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member
I worked for PPI for many years under Sunstar in Florida and EMSA in Oklahoma City. If you are educated and have any common sense.......run......run away very....very fast.

However, if you are an idiot and think that as a medic you save 5-10 people's lives a day and you really like to put as many attachments as possible on your belt.....and you have no experience,,,,,well then go ahead and sign up.

atropine

Forum Captain
Real quick it was obvious who the IAFF truly represented even though they were happy to take MAST employee money. They should have to refund every penny they were paid as they did not do what was right for the MAST employees.

How do you know that some of the Mast people didn't want to be dual role, or maybe all of them, we don't. Sounds like the city and Mast are trying to survive in this hard economic situation. What ever the reason what is done is done, and whatever former mast employee who doesn't like can move to another privat company I guess.

JPINFV

Gadfly
How do you know that some of the Mast people didn't want to be dual role, or maybe all of them, we don't. Sounds like the city and Mast are trying to survive in this hard economic situation. What ever the reason what is done is done, and whatever former mast employee who doesn't like can move to another privat company I guess.

Then why would they need memos like this:
"March 5, 2009

Members of IAFF Local 42 MAST Shop:

Please understand that actions taken in opposition to an initiative of the Union may be considered a chargeable offense. Actions may have consequences. You may disagree with decisions made, and that is your right, but acting on that opposition is another matter. If you are a member, and given an opportunity to sign a petition which is in opposition to a Union petition, you are taking an action which is chargeable under the Constitution and By-laws of the Local and International. The same applies to a person passing a petition without the authority of the leadership of the Local. If you are speaking in public as a member who stands in opposition to a Union initiative you may be held responsible for your actions. You have the right to do what you wish, but your membership in this Union is earned.

Fraternally,

Jim Lewis
Executive Board Representative
IAFF Local 42"

http://voices.kansascity.com/node/3943

It's bull like this that makes me support right to work states. F the unions. F closed shop.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Very well documented that the MAST employees opposed the move.

Sure go private when they used to work with a quality organization. You sound like the union extortion letter already provided by JP.

OP
OP
S

smacphee

Forum Probie
I worked for PPI for many years under Sunstar in Florida and EMSA in Oklahoma City. If you are educated and have any common sense.......run......run away very....very fast.

However, if you are an idiot and think that as a medic you save 5-10 people's lives a day and you really like to put as many attachments as possible on your belt.....and you have no experience,,,,,well then go ahead and sign up.

Thanks for the reply. What about the company exactly didn't you like? And would those dislikes revolve around local management or on a larger scale?

Anybody think this thread got sidetracked yet?

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the reply. What about the company exactly didn't you like? And would those dislikes revolve around local management or on a larger scale?

Anybody think this thread got sidetracked yet?

Well, the structure was pretty much the same in FL as in OKC. OKC's management was much worse than in FL. However, they both were horrible. Obviously, as a private company, their end goal is profit but it is very apparent at the operations level that they are all about profits. The pay is horrible compared to a civil service. Poor 401(k) structure and even worse medical coverage. I would gather that any new area that PPI takes over will suffer the same problems as they will continue to follow the same business model as their other areas (TX, OKC, and FL). PPI is simply a stepping stool to another agency. I would find it hard to imagine anyone purposely making a career out of working for PPI,,,,unless of course you are one of those people that I mentioned in the earlier post.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And yet, I've heard of none of those complaints about ETMC, who owns PP...so you can't make that a rule for the whole company.

Last edited by a moderator:

atropine

Forum Captain
Well, the structure was pretty much the same in FL as in OKC. OKC's management was much worse than in FL. However, they both were horrible. Obviously, as a private company, their end goal is profit but it is very apparent at the operations level that they are all about profits. The pay is horrible compared to a civil service. Poor 401(k) structure and even worse medical coverage. I would gather that any new area that PPI takes over will suffer the same problems as they will continue to follow the same business model as their other areas (TX, OKC, and FL). PPI is simply a stepping stool to another agency. I would find it hard to imagine anyone purposely making a career out of working for PPI,,,,unless of course you are one of those people that I mentioned in the earlier post.

Agreed, I would have to say it's a great stepping stone job, and a wonderful place to get in and out with some valuble medical calls. I land the fire gig after spending 18 months in Tulsa, what a horrible place to work and live.

OP
OP
S

smacphee

Forum Probie
Thanks for clearing that up. PP stated to us that they will keep the wages and benefits the same. Also, they say pp is a non-profit. Is that true with you guys?

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member
They just told us not for profit and would cap profits at 5%

Yes, that sounds accurate. But don't be fooled, that 5% is on top of the massive subsidy that the city pays them to provide EMS coverage in the area. For instance, OKC last year paid PPI $4 million for 1 year. PPI then capped profits at 10% and all extras go to the authority.