Paramedic pharmacology book?

Jackie

Forum Ride Along
Hello hello, everybody!
I've recently applied for the paramedic program at my local college here in Northern Jersey.
I wanted to get a head start in pharmacology and drug use, particularly in the prehospital setting. Would anyone recommend a pharm book that is commonly used/ was very useful for you in medic school?

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I didn't use it in medic school but recently got the Pharmacology for the Prehospital Professional book by Jeffrey Guy. Haven't finished it yet but like it so far.

On Amazon here. http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacology-Prehospital-Professional-Jeffrey-FACS/dp/0323035906

Does anyone have an old copy they might want to sell? I'm not sure if I will be able to go on to medic, but I'm doing everything I can to study/learn on my own. ECG, pharm........
My former teacher gave me the pharm sheets from the school's paramedic program. I'm in the process of making flashcards. Could someone tell me where I can find out what medications belong to which classification?

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Hello hello, everybody!
I've recently applied for the paramedic program at my local college here in Northern Jersey.
I wanted to get a head start in pharmacology and drug use, particularly in the prehospital setting. Would anyone recommend a pharm book that is commonly used/ was very useful for you in medic school?

In the mean time, the EMS Pocket Drug Guide is a good resource. By Patrick T Gomella. Second edition

OP
OP
J

Jackie

Forum Ride Along
Done! I hadn't seen that option. Thanks! $15 plus $4 for shipping. Includes the DVD. Not bad!
Careful with those! I bought a "used" book once online- stated condition had ripped binding, some folded pages, but all-in-all good condition.
They shipped me a stack of papers held by a rubber band- considerable amount of pages damaged/missing too.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Prehospital Emergency Pharmacology, 7th Ed. by Bryan Bledsoe and Dwane Clayden.

'nuff said.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I would recommend finding a text that is both broader and more in depth than something written specifically for paramedic practice.

Principles of Pharmacology by Golan and Basic & Clinical Pharmacology by Katzung and both quite comprehensive and in depth, yet are also accessible and understandable.

MrJones

Iconoclast
I would recommend finding a text that is both broader and more in depth than something written specifically for paramedic practice.

Principles of Pharmacology by Golan and Basic & Clinical Pharmacology by Katzung and both quite comprehensive and in depth, yet are also accessible and understandable.

What do those books (or similar) offer that is an improvement over/preferable to texts written specifically for paramedic practice?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What do those books (or similar) offer that is an improvement over/preferable to texts written specifically for paramedic practice?

Increased breadth, depth, and scope.

To be clear, I'm not saying that there is anything at all wrong with the Guy or Bledsoe books. They both appear to present information in a well-organized, problem-oriented format that is easy to read and understand. They are fine introductory texts for someone with little clinical background.

Perhaps the texts I mentioned are too much for someone with no physiology background, though. I just think that EMS education in the areas of phys & pharm should be more academic.

Last edited:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Lippincott's Review Pharmacology is a real good one, too.