Paramedic-led research

Should paramedics be leading studies/research?

• Yes, paramedics should be leading our own research

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Yes, but the research should be led by physicians

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No, our current researchers are doing fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, paramedics have no business in any sort of research

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
On an open site such as this where personal attacks are frequent, I would urge everyone to be cautious. You don't have any idea who you might be arguing with. You never know who might take your posts very personally and this is a very small world. If you don't care about yourself, whatever. But care enough about your family not to put them in the spotlight also.

The guy who runs this site has everyone's personal info and we are all very trusting of him not to use it for his own gain either financially or personally in the chat room. Probably all the moderators have this same info which isn't too comforting either but if you want to post that is the chance you take. This website is not that important to me and I don't strive for 10,000 posts. If you have a life you don't need to be the most popular guy on an anonymous forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
Actually you only vaguely hinted about being a new CCEMT-P. Your statements don't fit with this at all.

If your not willing to stand behind your work there will be those who (rightfully) discount everything you say.

Don't really care. This is an "EMT" website and not a critical care forum. I am not going to insult EMTs and I have nothing to prove to you.

If you don't like what I post, don't read it. It seems pretty obvious you have been reading what I have written.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Don't really care. This is an "EMT" website and not a critical care forum. I am not going to insult EMTs and I have nothing to prove to you.
Besides the obvious calls for greater education (which few will argue) I haven't really seen anyone insult EMTs on this thread.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
On an open site such as this where personal attacks are frequent, I would urge everyone to be cautious. You don't have any idea who you might be arguing with. You never know who might take your posts very personally and this is a very small world. If you don't care about yourself, whatever. But care enough about your family not to put them in the spotlight also.

The guy who runs this site has everyone's personal info and we are all very trusting of him not to use it for his own gain either financially or personally in the chat room. Probably all the moderators have this same info which isn't too comforting either but if you want to post that is the chance you take. This website is not that important to me and I don't strive for 10,000 posts. If you have a life you don't need to be the most popular guy on an anonymous forum.

I post here because it's a route to educate people within my chosen career field. "Being popular" on an Internet forum isn't on my to do list. Your behavior is fairly paranoid, bad past experience?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I would like to respond to this but not to the author.

I thought this was important enough a topic to post a response. But my response to it is not to the author, but to a subject I think is important nomatter who the author is.

Since some of his posts are not always at their best, anyone in his agency or future employers can read them and get alot of info from them to use however they feel

I am the real deal.

I do not have an alter internet ego.

I get mad like everyone, particularly when I am tired, stressed or hungry.

The opinions I state here are the same ones I state in person.

I do try to protect current and former employers by allowing enough for them to plausibly deny or fail to recolect anything I say. Because if I wrote a book or a blog I would have to change the names to protect the guilty and also avoid paying royalties.

I actually got hired for my first job as a doctor based on my posts here. So I think I am doing allright.

I will leave it up to that person to decide whether or not to attest to "what you see is what you get."

Now then...

I am far enough along in my career that I have learned there are some people I don't want to work for.

There are some people who don't want me to work for them.

I am cool with that.

Infact, I would rather they decide they don't like me here over an interview where everyone on their best behavior pretends to be somebody or something they are not and later after moving heaven and earth to relocate, we decide it is not working out.

My name, my title, and primary employer are on every one of my medical publications as well as 3 acknowledgements. If somebody is trying to track me down, it shouldn't be too hard. Where I live is also on my facebook page. (my birthday is not :) )

I even have pictures of myself (including at work) and my family there. I express my sometimes unedited opinions there. I express how I am feeling in a given time. My political opinions, op eds, it is my medium. If people don't like it, my friends are a small group, they are free to come and go as they please.

If a potential employer doesn't like it, I will probably never know or care. Like I said, if you don't like the real me, I don't want to work for you anyway.

This forum is like a never ending blog and sometimes way too much info is posted about recent calls and serious errors.

I lead from the front, I am not here to baby sit. If people make mistakes they will learn from them.

But as I have heard said:

""Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Some think they are anonymous but have posted their photos in uniform next to their company's truck.

In the past I have posted my favorite picture of me and my daughter, me at previous employers, me staging a picture of being passed out an an anesthesia machine in neurosurgery. (One of my favorites as I am told a staged picture of one of the retired doctors was actually used in Time magazine, don't know the truth to it though.)

I just haven't got around to reposting them here.

I took them down during a very busy time in my life that called for me to take a break from here to meet real life responsibilities.

Uncharted territory with stuff popping up on the internet being used in court. With just the info given by Kyle anyone can surf up his address and even see where he lives with the google software..

Same thing happened to me on pubmed. A far more visited website than EMTLIFE. (sorry guys, it is)

Personally I would not want to make my family that available to some on this website either posting or lurking.

People whom have never been on this website, nor speak or read English have already come to my door and waited outside the gate on 2 occasions seeking a consult. It is much easier to be an anonymous ancillary services provider.

As for Vene, he shouldn't make comments if he can back them up or does not want to be questioned about them.

At this point, I am not omniscient nor omnipotent. Perhaps one day...I am working on it...

In the meanwhile I will be plagued by the limits of knowledge, experience, and opinion.

There are forums to post your real name on but this one is definitely not it.

Why not? I don't think it is anymore or less dangerous than anywhere else on the internet. As I said, I don't post my name mainly for my employers, not for me.

I have been on a couple of the real name medical forums. They are nothing to brag about. Particularly when you have to have a famous name in order to be considered a socially acceptable poster.

I doubt I will ever be famous. Veneficus, which is the Latin word for "wizard"
is a reference to being "the man behind the curtain."

If someone paying attention to all of those IFT transfers whether ALS or CCT one does in a career they can learn alot. If you respect the staff in the ED or ICU or anywhere your patients are, you might be surprised at what you can learn. What I see here is a lack of respect for all other professions and EMTs by just a few.

I do not consider honestly and openly discussing problems with various professions and vocations as a lack of respect.

I see it as a discussion among people who are interested enough to discuss it.

My distaste for PAs is well known, not only on this forum but with my real life employers.

It is not to say I cannot work with them. I just don't treat them as peers. As they are not. The reasons are inconsequential. There is a difference between being part of the team and being a peer.

Not because I say so, it is how the world is.

Just as the lowest soldier on the battlefield is an important part of the team who can make a profound difference in global outcome, they are not equal to a general by any length of responsibility, authority, or privilidge.

Inequality of station has always existed in medicine. By extension healthcare. It aways will until everyone has equal education, equal responsibility, equal social position, and equal pay.

I won't hold my breath waiting for it though.

If an RT, PA, or US paramedic comes to my current country of residence, they cannot get a license, certification, or any permission to treat a patient.

An NP will likely get permission (didn't look it up) to act as a RN.

A doctor can get full reciprocity.

In many countries around the world, you are still a doctor, a nurse, or nothing in healthcare.

Again, I did not make it so, it is just how it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
Considering many paramedics are practicing with only an Associates degree or less, I think that it should be allowed but the study be led by a physician. Any research studies should be led by those with bachelors degrees or higher.