Paramedic Firefighter Job Desc.

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all fire buddies... I have a question in many parts:

What is the "textbook definition" of a paramedic firefighter [which as I understand it thus far, is a paramedic who works for the fire department (this may sound obvious, but not all of us have a system like this in our area) performing dual duties.] and what are his/ or her general duties with relation to fire supression and EMS?

- It appears that this is more common in metropolitan areas. Is this true?

- Is this person running around doing all the duties that a FF/EMT does?

- What level of certification does one need?

- What should I be doing NOW, early on in working towards this goal?

- What else that I havent asked might I need to be thinking about?

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
How in the heck did this get in the for sale section? That sucks.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Squirts water, has a box of bandaids.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
TTLWHKR said:
Squirts water, has a box of bandaids.

LMFAO :lol: :lol:

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
Basically your a certified medic and a firefighter. Usually 240 to achieve full time position

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
240 is pretty old. I dont think I will live that long.

huh?

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
Level II FF

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In philly, they have "Fire Service Paramedics" - FSP on Namebadge, as well as some "Firefighter Paramedics" - FFP on namebadge.

Philly's FSP's go through an abbreaviated acadamy- enough to be able to be functional on a fireground - airpacks, handlines, rescue, etc.

Philly's FFP's are usually firefighters who made the mistake of letting the city know they'd gone through Medic School... They are now left to suffer on the ambulance until the end of time.

Many large (and small) citys have FFP's who rotate between the ambulance and the engine. This makes it all work great for everone... they get to play firefighter and paramedic. Also, these citys have ALS gear on the Engine, so the engine can be a ALS responder...The medic on the engine will end up initiating care before the ambulance gets there. If the ambulance is BLS, the medic will ride the call in as the Medic for an ALS call. If the ambulance is ALS, and the call is serious, the medic will ride the call in.

It seems to work for the cities that do it.

Locally, we have several Volunteer/combination Fire Co's that employ FF/Medics... all their guys have to be able to drive, pump, operate all rigs in the station... for several, this means - FF1, FF2, Pump Ops, Truck Ops, etc.

Both of the companies that use Firefighter Paramedics have ALS equipped fire trucks, one has a set of ALS gear on the Rescue, and possibly one on the Ladder, the other has a fully ALS certified engine, with the state OEMS stickers and everthing.

Jon

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I have a few friends who are fire medics. They have different paths that got them this status. One completed his EMT-B and half of his Associate's degree in Fire Sience while finishing his Senor year in high school. He then finished his EMT- I and the remainder of his AAS in Fire Science. Then he went to paramedic school for a year. He was also volunteering as a fire- fighter/ EMT and working as an EMT/ ER tech. So when he got out of medic school he had 2 years EMS/ ER and fire experience. Another buddy got hired on with a fire dept and they sent him through medic school after a few years. My advise would be to decide what you want to do and go for it full throttle. Try to get as much training, certifications, experience, and references as you can because one small difference can make you stand out from the crowd of applicants. One more note, it is good to understand as much as you can about your craft for example extrication, fire supression, and rescue ect; I fell it is better to do one thing really well. I have my AAS in fire science and some firefighting experience; However, I prefer EMS medics and EMTs because they practice thier craft from first respose to transport to an ER or another facility. This translates into much more patient care experience. Not all fire medics transport, it depend on the service.

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks Jon and RALS505. Thumbs up to you both.