Papers on VAP and Volu/barotauma

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Anyone have research on the morbidity and mortality of volu/barotrauma associated with ambu bag use and VAPs? Need the info to finish up an inservice I'm putting together and don't have the time or energy to perform Google-Fu today. Thanks in advance.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone have research on the morbidity and mortality of volu/barotrauma associated with ambu bag use and VAPs? Need the info to finish up an inservice I'm putting together and don't have the time or energy to perform Google-Fu today. Thanks in advance.

It's an interesting question and I have to say that I am having trouble finding much data. I'm particularly interested in the volutrauma/barotrauma aspect of it.

There's an article in Anaesthesia that showed better compliance with lung protective ventilation and protocol in general using pediatric bags to ventilate adults:
Comparison of the Mapleson C system and adult and paediatric self-inflating bags for delivering guideline-consistent ventilation during simulated adult cardiopulmonary resuscitation, Anaesthesia 2011

And Aufderhide (spelling??) published in Circulation in 2004 on the effect of over-ventilation in cardiac arrest, but I'm not sure how specific either of these are to actual volutrauma as opposed to decreased venous return in a low flow state. I've also lost my copy of The Circ journal and for some reason can't get into Anaesthesia at the moment. Sorry. :(

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Bit late...

Other than the usual stuff on google scholar...

Nehme Z, Boyle M. Smaller self-inflating bags produce greater guideline consistent ventilation in simulated cardiopulmonary resuscitation. BMC Emerg Med. 2009;9(4).

Nehme Z, Boyle M. Accuracy of bag ventilation in simulated resuscitation. Journal of Paramedic Practice. 2009;1(4):167-72.

The lead author there was, last I heard, trying to get our guidelines changed so that we use paeds bags during adult cardiac arrest. I probably can't access them now, so I can't tell, but I suspect they're not exactly what you're looking for. However, I seem to remember one of them having a reasonable lit review on the topic of barotrauma. Maybe worth a look if you're stuck.