Oregon/washington Paramedic Spots

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Any advice on where to start applying? Looking for my first medic job. Want to leave SoCal and these states are appealing. No medic experience yet and looking for primarily 911.

Thanks!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Goodluck in Oregon. I was from Portland and my friend was from Southern Oregon. We both got laid off and moved.

OP
OP
Thricenotrice

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
As medics? So is ems not doing so hot up there right now? Where'd you move to?

terrible one

Always wandering
OP - the PNW, while not as saturated as SoCal, still has limited openings in EMS. Just a heads up. Good luck

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
I am in paramedic school in WA right now, there are quite a few fresh out of school medics looking for jobs. Few fire departments are hiring so there is little turnover/hiring at the private companies. But here are a few to look at: AMR throughout the state, Advanced Life Systems in Yakima, Rural Metro Pierce County, Olympic Ambulance in Mason/Kitsap counties and Lifeline Ambulance in Wenatchee. You could try testing for South King Medic One but they are very very very selective and you would be going through paramedic school again.

OP
OP
Thricenotrice

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the responses. Where I'm at ill have to move no matter what to work 911 ALS. So might as well move far away. Any suggestions on elsewhere?
I know Texas has a lot of opportunities but trying to stay away from the heat if possible. Acadian did look promising though out there

terrible one

Always wandering
I'm looking at CO, NM, TX at the moment. TX is prolly your best bet

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well, unless you have an AAS in EMS or a bachelors in something else, then you won't be able to get Oregon reciprocity. Double check on that, but it's what I remember.

If you are able to get reciprocity, you'll have a rather difficult time finding a medic job in Oregon. A lot of EMS is fire based here, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of applicants for the few FD jobs out there.

However, it seems that Rural Metro is hiring quite often, and MetroWest in the Washington county area seems like they've got openings every now and then. AMR doesn't hire very often to the best of my knowledge. There are a few other smaller private companies in the state, but those three seem to be the big hitters.