online even worth it?

Tii

Forum Probie
I live in new jersey and I am currently just a medical assistant. I want to now be an EMT but I am unsure of how yo go about it...kinda. I am trying to get into my local volunteer squad but the training is where I am having the issue. Not all places accept the NJ EMT Fund so I would have to pay out of pocket. Sounds ok, however I don't have 1,300 right now. I saw some online classes from different schools you guys have mentioned and that way I can do a payment plan. Was just wondering if it is worth doing if I will have to turn around and do the recert course just to be considered a NJ EMT. It almost sounds worth it...just looking for some feedback.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A lot of schools will let you do payment plans. Why not ask the ones you're looking at?

$1300 for an EMT class is absurd.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
That's how I felt. I found only 2 courses that were between 500-850 for the course which I felt a lot better about. I asked most of the schools also and they want all the money upfront.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
The EMT-B programs that the hospitals administer themselves around here are about $600-ish, the community college program I did my EMT-B was just under $900. The hospital-run programs were only evenings or weekends, which did not work with my schedule. So I did the more expensive community college class, which met twice a week during the weekday. It was the only way it would work for my schedule.

$1300 is a lot! Medic programs around here are only about $3k.

Yes, the hospitals wanted their payment in full upfront, as the community college tuition payment, unless you made other arrangements with the school's financial office. I didn't need it, but they may have had a monthly payment option available if a student isn't able to foot the entire semester bill up front.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
NJ is just ridiculously expensive then because sadly the college wants 1300. If I want to pay $500 I have to use my fathers address and drive about 45 mins away, however I think that is worth it more than paying 1300 for up the street.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
45 minute drive is worth $800...to me anyways haha

epicEMT

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't recommend trying to take an EMT course online. There is just so much you can learn from an in-person instructor.

Feyenoord345

Forum Ride Along
My community college in MD is charging me 1300 for EMT B. I think its the whole Northeast thats ridiculously expensive.

You didn't see any financial aid options? I'm hoping mine will be covered.