Online EMS degree w/ credit for cert

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Eastern Kentucky University if I remember correctly.

From my understanding you're going to have to carry a lot of credits into UTHSCSA's program. I can't remember if you need an AAS or not but I know there's a fair amount you have to have finished already before you can even apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It says you need the Texas common requirements, but that you can take them concurrently and that they must be done by entry into the final semester.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm in agreement with you. The UTSA program appeals to me in a smilar ways in that you can customize the focus of your bachelors with a wide variety of science courses. If I decide to pursue a 2nd degree BSN or go to PA school, I can tailor it to that. And the list of EMS related courses for the BS is pretty nice looking

View attachment 3426
Agreed, this is what I would love in an EMS degree as well. I was pretty upset when I read into the CA stipulation regarding their degree program, but can't say I am the least bit surprised. I would like to enroll in a program that dabbles into some the advanced, or advancing topics applicable to paramedicine, and not just EMS administration.

I guess since theses types of degrees are so limited though, you really have to look around, and/ or compromise. Or you can switch careers altogether. Still, that doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I would rather learn a little bit more about the clinical aspects of the job, or even refresh on such topics to keep my clinical thought process somewhat keen, than to rather just have a degree to say I am ready to pencil push. Managing a group of individuals, who oftentimes, lack the mental maturity to be behind the wheels of a fleet full of ambulances hardly has its appeal, however, coordinating, training, and keeping paramedics up to par on their clinical standards in a system does...at least to me.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Also good call on "tailoring it". Pay attention to your electives and prereq's you can tailor many of these EMS degrees to PA school, grad school, management MBA/MPA, MPH, or whatever you like if you want to futureproof yourself, a backup plan, or a different career path. I am not a very smart guy when it comes to natural science and math... I can still remember counting on my fingers for lidocaine when I was an EMT-I... yet somehow I made it to grad school at a worldwide top 50 ranked University. I am not first in my class. Even as a medic, many of you are probably better clinicians than I am without a degree. I find most people just don't have the willpower and the patience to follow up with a long-term goal. A lot of the medics I know are like this; I think it maybe our personality types or an industry filled with ADHD I am not sure. Anyway... moral of the story is, even if you enjoy doing this job, any of us could be injured or fall ill at any moment. It's a lot better to fall back on a degree than a certificate and "ANYONE" can do it, you just have to stick with it and be determined

Last edited: