On the right path??

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted and I'm checking in to say hi and get some opinions about the guidance of my career path... I am the one who got laid off from my first ground medic ALS job just out of school after graduating With Honors. I am intending to become a Flight Paramedic, and have been working diligently at obtaining experience for that goal. I am currently working in a busy Trauma Center and running ALS calls on the side with my Fire Department as a volunteer Paramedic (yep, this economy isn't landing me paid work, but I love it, and it IS experience), and I also teach a trauma program in my community, but I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I have one more year of experience needed until I can apply to be a strong candidate for a flight job and am wondering if I should consider a move that might allow me to paid ALS experience instead of being in a Trauma Center? That being said, I have gotten a tremendous amount of experience in trauma, codes, starting nearly impossible lines, etc... due to my work in the hospital. I just need a little guidance about what I should be doing in this next full year to make it all count. I'm not sure if relocating to a different state for a year to gain experience is a smart idea, and I certainly wouldn't want to be a strain on any new potential employer. This economy isn't looking too certain these days, and it's difficult to leave a decent paying job with all the uncertainty in these times. Hope you are well, and any advice/thoughts is appreciated! :rolleyes:

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
5 years paid experience in high volume system.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Future HEMS Doctor Brown needs another pair of hands, good to see we don't have any supply issues :D

atticrat

Forum Crew Member
Most of the systems I'm familiar with don't really count volly experience. Your job in the Trauma center sounds like good experience, best way to find out if it counts is to call prospective employers. Many want you to have street time in a high volume system.

The economy aside, sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone. If you want it you might need to take a gamble to make it happen.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
All flight services in NM require paid time in a high call volume 911 system (eg Albuquerque size system). Volunteer experience doesn't count for them :)

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant

rescue329

Forum Ride Along
I work as a flight medic and every service i know of requires at least three years of paid field experience, the er probably wont count. call a few companies and see what they say.
btw we prefer intelligent and humble people, don't think you make the grade before you get an offer. just with an entitled attitude can get blacklisted or fired within the three months because there are people knocking down the doors to get on everywhere i know of.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
All flight services in NM require paid time in a high call volume 911 system (eg Albuquerque size system). Volunteer experience doesn't count for them :)

So basically you have to work in Albuquerque if you want to work HEMS? Alb is the only large size city in NM with the exception of maybe Santa Fe LOL

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So basically you have to work in Albuquerque if you want to work HEMS? Alb is the only large size city in NM with the exception of maybe Santa Fe LOL

Santa Fe and ABQ in NM are given about the same status, as is Las Cruces :p But for high call volume in NM that's about your only options (I tend to look at things as ABQ sized or bigger... when I worked in Denver a bit I was blown away how damn big it was)... But from what the flight teams I used to transport told me, they preferred metro busy 911 systems.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Go to nursing school.

spend a couple of years in the ICU and/or ED

problem solved.

BluesMedic

Forum Probie
I would agree with most of the other posters. Several years in a high-volume area as a Medic/ CCP would probably improve your chances. If I were you, I would look into where you might want to work and see exactly what their requirements are.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Santa Fe and ABQ in NM are given about the same status, as is Las Cruces :p But for high call volume in NM that's about your only options (I tend to look at things as ABQ sized or bigger... when I worked in Denver a bit I was blown away how damn big it was)... But from what the flight teams I used to transport told me, they preferred metro busy 911 systems.

Don't forget Roswell. I hear you can get some pretty interesting, Out of This World experience.B)B)

(LOL, couldn't resist!)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Don't forget Roswell. I hear you can get some pretty interesting, Out of This World experience.B)B)

(LOL, couldn't resist!)

Heh Roswell actually is a nice place to work :) My old service runs 911 there. It's a nice mix of urban and rural, and I know Native Air, at least, counts service there. Although that could be cause they have a base there and can see the quality of experience you're getting

Sasha

Forum Chief
Flight service doesn't count volly work? What if they volunteered regularly in a high volume area?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Flight service doesn't count volly work? What if they volunteered regularly in a high volume area?

THat's something I've actually never seen. A high call volume ALS volunteer service...

Sasha

Forum Chief
THat's something I've actually never seen. A high call volume ALS volunteer service...

I'm talking hypothetically. And we've got some volunteers at our FDs. The FDs themselves are paid but accept volunteers for free labor.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Google Cy-Fair VFD. You'll be pretty surprised at the size and scope of this FD.

I thought they were a hybrid dept. I remember someone telling me to look there for a paid EMT-I position this summer when I was looking for a job... or was that Cy-Creek? I kinda get those two confused sometimes

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Clinical experience is good, but I would say where you are lacking is scene experience. I hate to tell you this, but when your resume is compared to an equivalent candidate's resume, and the only difference is their experience was in a paid system versus yours in a volunteer system, I have a feeling the paid experience will win out (all things being equal of course, interview makes a HUGE difference.)

Also, don't overlook the value of critical care IFT. I would have never come close to passing my FP-C or any of the basic entrance exams for most flight jobs here in North Texas if it had not been for my critical care transport experience.

I would try as hard as you can to get back into a paid 911 system if possible, and consider critical care transport teams in the area. Even if they only let you carry the bags and drive, you can still learn a lot.