On being a Jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I will say that I agree that there is no point in insulting posters. However there are also times when new posters take general critiques personally when they aren't meant to be.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you don't want people coming down on new users who continually ask the exact same question you need to make that information more readily available.

Sounds like it's time for some new or edited stickies since the ones now obviously aren't cutting it. Maybe even include a blurb about how the search works, such as not searching for any word less than 4 letters long to give the new people a hefty kick in the right direction.

Edit: before anyone gets cute, I'm not going to do it. Between school and work I'm ranging 70-84 hrs per week. I'm just offering up an idea.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Amen.

There is a nice way to call people on their stuff, and then sometimes, people are just not getting it, and need a bit of a push to look closely in at themselves. Sometimes that push looks rude, and sometimes they neither see it coming nor welcome it.

It doesn't make the push any less necessary.

I don't know if you guys caught this or not, but our friend was a PERSONA.

With his fingers he created a CHARACTER; the one who, intelligent and knowledgeable, set himself up to be the Crusader Against Stupidity; a rapacious reamer of retards as he defined them.

Sure, he shared a lot of very good and respectable information for which many were -- justifiably -- grateful. But, Boy, did he play to his audience!

And his audience were those who wanted to say what he said but had restraint.

So I'm not surprised by the cheering section, but as I noted in the 100% Directionless thread, while condoning his behavior, few indulged in it -- certainly not as relentlessly as he did. In essence, perhaps a little egged on, he got deeper into his Character and it doomed him.

Problem was, we're an educational comic book. He was looking for his niche as Superhero. He was in the wrong comic book.

So now I'm just wondering what we're learning here about how communities work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
However, I question the emotional stability of someone who gets all sad because of what an anonymous person on the internet may have said.

First, the internet is not so anonymous anymore. In the beginning you could be who you wanted to be. Not so much anymore. How many people now know you're real name? How many have you befriend on Facebook? How many have you met in real life? Heck, we've even had (and currently have) people who are in relationships the began on this site.

Second, how would you like coming to this site for the first time, asking a question that is important to you and receiving an abrasive answer, being told that your training is nothing more than advanced first aid, or that anyone can teach a monkey to do it?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Second, how would you like coming to this site for the first time, asking a question that is important to you and receiving an abrasive answer, being told that your training is nothing more than advanced first aid, or that anyone can teach a monkey to do it?

Depends on the person and his/her background. I remember sitting through EMT class thinking, "Wow, this is it? This is all there is to being an EMT? What the hell?"

It's a bit like being the Fat Man in House of God. At some point of time the illusion built up in class needs to be broken down. The question is, how soon and how hard?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Depends on the person and his/her background. I remember sitting through EMT class thinking, "Wow, this is it? This is all there is to being an EMT? What the hell?"

It's a bit like being the Fat Man in House of God. At some point of time the illusion built up in class needs to be broken down. The question is, how soon and how hard?

Not everyone wants to fight that fight though. And sometimes those that are fighting that fight are going about it in the wrong ways. Responding to a new member of the forum that their training level is ridiculous is going about it in the wrong way.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
I always had fun being the condescending know-it-all. I think I only got banned from one forum permanently though.

It's the Internet and people ask stupid questions Google can answer in seconds. It's also where you need to have a tougher skin. If you can't handle some random dude talking down to you on the Internet how can you function in EMS?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I always had fun being the condescending know-it-all. I think I only got banned from one forum permanently though.

It's the Internet and people ask stupid questions Google can answer in seconds. It's also where you need to have a tougher skin. If you can't handle some random dude talking down to you on the Internet how can you function in EMS?

Maybe Google sent them here. Maybe their question was answered and now they have new questions. So what do they do? They register and ask.

It amazes me when people complain about people asking questions here. It's one of the purposes of a forum.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief

Amen!

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
And you don't have to tell me what forums are for.

I'm a car guy for example (maybe) and say I just got my first 1996 Whatever and found a forum for it. I read and read and read and learn a lot rather than just clicking the first spot I think looks neat and start asking lame *** questions.

The car has been around for years right? STILL you get the people that sign up asking crap like, What size wheels fit? What oil should I use? Is this sound normal? Blah Blah Blah.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
And you don't have to tell me what forums are for.

I'm a car guy for example (maybe) and say I just got my first 1996 Whatever and found a forum for it. I read and read and read and learn a lot rather than just clicking the first spot I think looks neat and start asking lame *** questions.

The car has been around for years right? STILL you get the people that sign up asking crap like, What size wheels fit? What oil should I use? Is this sound normal? Blah Blah Blah.

You may search. Others may not. It doesn't make you right and them wrong. If someone posts a question and you want to respond with a link to a thread where there question was already answered, that's fine.

As Matt's purpose for creating this thread, there are ways to respond to new member's questions without being a jerk and telling them to go elsewhere.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

You shouldn't be talking down to the person in the first place. If you feel you need to do that then this is not the forum for you.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
First, the internet is not so anonymous anymore. In the beginning you could be who you wanted to be. Not so much anymore. How many people now know you're real name? How many have you befriend on Facebook? How many have you met in real life? Heck, we've even had (and currently have) people who are in relationships the began on this site.

Perhaps it isn't as anonymous as it once was, however, we choose who we will and will not expose our lives to (at least most of the time). It is not hard to retain a certain amount of anonymity online, and my post was simply that a lot of people have no idea who is behind the words...and I'm sure this will now turn into another "how can they prove their cert level?" argument.

That's a question that cannot be answered easily, every person is different and will react to it in a different way. Personally, they're just words, I can get over it, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I know most of what I have to say on this subject will be considered biased, but I'm going to say it anyways.

31 year old that meets the requirements for his field. He worked as an Intermediate/supervisor in a paid department in Illinois until such time that he enlisted in the Air Force. The Air Force screwed up his paperwork an made him an respiratory therapist instead of his chosen field of radiology tech (all of which he has said on the forum multiple times). He met the educational requirement at the time of his training, and that therefore qualifies him currently. If the National Board for Respiratory Care in 5 states deems him trained, who are you to say otherwise?

So yes, this is someone I look up too. Quite a bit more than you.
I don't expect, or want you to look up to me.

You are biased, but I understand that, and really, it doesn't have to much bearing on the issue. But, you should know that the above statement really didn't do much to help his/your case. In fact, just the oposite. Which doesn't matter to what I'm saying.

I'm sure that whoever or whatever usafmedic actually is he is an intelligent guy. I'm sure he is good in whatever his choosen profession may be, as a researcher or otherwise. But...I also believe that, for a variety of reasons and in a variety of ways, he went overboard in this particular situation and passed the end-point of honesty, reality and the ability to teach in however small a way.

I've posted here on and off for awhile; I remember when usafmedic first started posting, and the personality seen initially wasn't the one that he finsished in. As I said, some of his comments were probably very appealing to many people here, and over time he played into that, both with his comments and how he portrayed himself. Unfortunately, that is also a great way to set yourself up for failure, in any situation. Which is exactly what happened.

This is an anonouymus internet forum...unless you personally know the person who is posting, or they vet themselves publically there is no way to know if they are lying or being honest about themself. Beyond that, while someone may say something that sounds good and makes you feel good to read it..that does not make the person right...not then, and not the next time they speak. Just as in a face to face conversation, you need to be able to judge what someone says and react to the actual content, not your personal feelings. As well, and maybe more importantly given how people seem to interpret internet forums, a high post count does not equal actual knowledge or ability.

If I was being blunt and not politically correct I'd be much more clear about how I feel. But I think that firetender, in his posts after mine said it much better and more eloquently than I can. I'll leave it at that.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Rid, Rogue and Bledsoe all are strong
because the things they teach
are meant to challenge and poke and prod
while extending out their reach.

There's a reason Rid doesn't post anymore, and I haven't seen Rogue or Bledsoe in awhile.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
You may search. Others may not. It doesn't make you right and them wrong. If someone posts a question and you want to respond with a link to a thread where there question was already answered, that's fine.

I find this to be a common problem here. Even for me having been around here for awhile, I never really know when to reply to an old thread, and when to create a new one. The former, and I risk being yelled at for drudging up an old thread. The latter, and I risk being chewed out for asking a question already discussed. Fortunately for me, most people see my post count and join date and leave me alone either way, but not so for the newbies...

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
There's a reason Rid doesn't post anymore, and I haven't seen Rogue or Bledsoe in awhile.

I miss Rid. When I was a young basic, I learned a lot from him. Since I'm not around here much anymore (due to the fact that I'm in Med school and don't remember what free time is) I don't actually know what happened to him. Maybe he started med school too?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Rid doesn't post because he got a life and moved on. He still posts here from time to time. He isn't gone away in a huff or banned. Talk to him yourself.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I miss Rid. When I was a young basic, I learned a lot from him. Since I'm not around here much anymore (due to the fact that I'm in Med school and don't remember what free time is) I don't actually know what happened to him. Maybe he started med school too?

I miss Rid too. I remember him getting pissed at the CLs and leaving. He wasn't in a huff, but he certainly didn't seem happy.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I smile every time I see a member with a House/Hugh Laurie or John McGinley/Perry Cox custom avatar. Both characters make awesome TV because they're absolute jerks and that have huge character flaws that make them almost unbearable.

So apparently you have something against both usaf and rid. Maybe we just figured out why one was banned and the other stopped posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.