On being a Jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
So apparently you have something against both usaf and rid. Maybe we just figured out why one was banned and the other stopped posting.

usaf and rid are both very intelligent people and both pushed for the industry to be better. One was just able to do it in a more polite manner than the other.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
being told that your training is nothing more than advanced first aid, or that anyone can teach a monkey to do it?
One more comment here, then in all likelihood I'm done. I've told EMTs this both online and to their face. I've told paramedics there job can be taught to them in less time than a barber in the state of Texas so how hard can it be. Often a new provider needs an ego laceration to get on with the business of learning.

The Dunning-Krueger effect is very prevalent in EMS, likely because of low educational standards and the type of personality the field attracts. Despite an at times out-sized ego and sense of arrogance, I am acutely aware of when I've screwed up, usually falling on the side of "my own worst critic". Many, many others are not. They need it pointed out. If they can not develop the ability to take criticism (and yes, harsh criticism is at times called for) and self motivate for improvement beyond mindlessly "getting experience" then they don't belong in medicine.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Imagine you opened up a little bar for everyone...

...and after a while you got some regulars. Then they started heckling or hazing the new customers. Maybe slowly they accrete some like souls, but your little pub for the public has become the equivalent of the old fashioned cop or "firemen's" or "Indian" bar...go in at your own risk.
What choices does the owner have?
1. Let it go. Drop the dream and let things wind their own way.
2. Adopt the "new order". To continue the metaphor, take down the ferns and the mirrors (they get trashed every Friday anyway) and put up anti-liberal/anti-gun control posters in the restroom.
3. Stick to your ideal, and try to genteelly direct the power block to your path. If it doesn't work, it's you or them, you are the investor and the one responsible, so out they go; either for the week, or for good. Often it isn't because people are good or bad, it is because they need someplace else to hang.

One of the side effects of being nice to the customers/users (dropping metaphor) is they feel a sense of ownership and freedom, but an unfortunate secondary side effect is that everyone will at one time or another try to take care of business rather than telling the owner/operator there's a problem. And when you flex the "86" muscle, people feel you have infringed upon their rights.

A website is private property, and we use it at their sufferance. They can decide the stink isn't worth it and fold up tonight. They can change the thing to a tribute to Barbie and Ken or illegal activities or saving the squirrels, it is theirs, not ours. We users bear the responsibility of following rules and keeping the ball rolling, not toughening other people's skins..unless the mods decide that will be okay.

How about a mods-only emoticon to mimic the warning tool used by real bartenders: the stink eye.
133a0rfrp8c1frp3.jpg

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
...and after a while you got some regulars. Then they started heckling or hazing the new customers. Maybe slowly they accrete some like souls, but your little pub for the public has become the equivalent of the old fashioned cop or "firemen's" or "Indian" bar...go in at your own risk.
What choices does the owner have?
1. Let it go. Drop the dream and let things wind their own way.
2. Adopt the "new order". To continue the metaphor, take down the ferns and the mirrors (they get trashed every Friday anyway) and put up anti-liberal/anti-gun control posters in the restroom.
3. Stick to your ideal, and try to genteelly direct the power block to your path. If it doesn't work, it's you or them, you are the investor and the one responsible, so out they go; either for the week, or for good. Often it isn't because people are good or bad, it is because they need someplace else to hang.

One of the side effects of being nice to the customers/users (dropping metaphor) is they feel a sense of ownership and freedom, but an unfortunate secondary side effect is that everyone will at one time or another try to take care of business rather than telling the owner/operator there's a problem. And when you flex the "86" muscle, people feel you have infringed upon their rights.

A website is private property, and we use it at their sufferance. They can decide the stink isn't worth it and fold up tonight. They can change the thing to a tribute to Barbie and Ken or illegal activities or saving the squirrels, it is theirs, not ours. We users bear the responsibility of following rules and keeping the ball rolling, not toughening other people's skins..unless the mods decide that will be okay.

How about a mods-only emoticon to mimic the warning tool used by real bartenders: the stink eye.
133a0rfrp8c1frp3.jpg

Well put.

Just wanted to add that this place is run completely by unpaid volunteers and the money to run it comes out of Matts not unlimited pockets. This isn't a commercial business, we don't pay anything to use it so we all need to stop acting like we're somehow entitled to be treated like customers. Even in business the customer is not always right.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Because physicians have their balls fully descended enough that they don't concern themselves with being 'nice.'

because physicians don't bicker in front of patients they have other ways of resolving things privately and to the benefit of all involved usually.

It is part of being a profession instead of a job.

Also physicians understand that there is no black and white, right and wrong all the time. They explore and respect each others thought processes, especially before they rush to judgement.

I wish I could take about a week and show EMS providers the absolute vastness of medicine. It really would change their perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So apparently you have something against both usaf and rid. Maybe we just figured out why one was banned and the other stopped posting.

No, we only have issues with people that don't follow our rules.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
MD not being nice...

If you're a member of a group and your patient satisfaction questionnaires are cruddy or your turnover times are sluggish, you better be billing the biggest bucks or you are going to get the heat. Quickest way to belay complaints (and lawsuits) they have found is "be nice".

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
O hai, did I miss something?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm gonna take the CL privilege, and go ahead and respond to a few things here.

First, the internet is not so anonymous anymore. In the beginning you could be who you wanted to be. Not so much anymore. How many people now know you're real name? How many have you befriend on Facebook? How many have you met in real life? Heck, we've even had (and currently have) people who are in relationships the began on this site.
I've made the point in a blog, and in conversations with other bloggers that true anonymity takes FAR more work than "being you" - and once you start lying, you find yourself down a deeper hole than you can dig yourself out of. There are a few EMS Bloggers that have done a good job of keeping themselves unknown - TOTWTYTR is a shining example. The rest are at least known to those of us that associate with them.

As for dating - well... I don't think EMTharmony.com should be rolled out anytime soon, but it's worked out for some.

[YOUTUBE]UE6iAjEv9dQ[/YOUTUBE]

Second, how would you like coming to this site for the first time, asking a question that is important to you and receiving an abrasive answer, being told that your training is nothing more than advanced first aid, or that anyone can teach a monkey to do it?

Depends on the person and his/her background. I remember sitting through EMT class thinking, "Wow, this is it? This is all there is to being an EMT? What the hell?"

It's a bit like being the Fat Man in House of God. At some point of time the illusion built up in class needs to be broken down. The question is, how soon and how hard?

There is a right way and a wrong way to do it, and some folks here are better at it than others.

I've been a posting member of this forum since 2004. I've seen many members I liked come and go... and a smaller number have stayed. Our community is better because of ALL of us here. When we get nothing but "n00b" traffic, it gets frusterating - same questions, same attitudes. When it's just the old heads, we argue about EVERYTHING. I'm pretty sure some of you would debate me if the sky was blue or pink... at night. :)

We need to all work to find that happy medium, where we can be nurting to new members, so that they feel including in our community - but yet when someone says or does something legitimately stupid, they get informed of such errors in a polite way.

Status
Not open for further replies.