old vs new radio talk

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
So my dad and i were talking tonight and thinking back about 3 years to when he retired the fire dept after 25 years to now and how much our local dispatch "lingo" has changed just in three years. heres the old way, in just a few short years we have adapted plain language, it amazes me. Because i remember when i was ten and had every single one of the codes remembered, i was wondering if anyone still uses any thing similar to this or 10 codes and if anyone had trouble with the switch from their old way
23 Emergency, Medical 25 Weather Warning 44 Weapons Involved 50 Notice of Fire 51 Report to your Station 52 Off the Air 53 On the Air 54 Fire and/or Medical Emergency, Under Control 59 Call by Phone 60 Change Frequency 62 Call for Mutual Aid 63 On the Scene 64 Make Inspection at 69 Special Call Apparatus (Specify Who and What) 70 Request for Instructions or Announcements 71 Returning to Station 73 All Clear on Signal 23 or 50 79 Give Your Location 80 All Clear 83 Proceed with Caution 85 Radio Test 88 Check Station for Message 90 Silence

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The ABQ metro uses Clawson codes which are easy to learn. My new service dispatchers tend to still use 10 codes but I make them repeat them in clear text if they are trying to get any information to me. We're trying to get away from 10-codes, but unfortunately our dispatch is PD based, so they want to hang on to them.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We use Clawson codes too and some held over R codes from back in the day

R26 Police
R27 Fire
R30 Driving officer required
R35 Ambulance transport not required
R36 Unable to locate
R40 Report to hospital
R50 Intensive Care Paramedic reqd
R51 Paramedic reqd

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
the only 10-codes we still use are 10-4 (acknowledged) 10-7 (out of service) and 10-8 (in service) other than that we are all clear text, I usually am 100% clear text even with the above codes.

the only exception is emergencys, all of our radios and MDTs have emergency buttone (in-case we need the boys in blue), when pressed it silently notifies dispatch that we have an emergency they will ask "all units check code 1000" if we dont respond then they will send the world to our last known AVL location (via GPS). this is a very nice feature to have, I love the panic button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
The only codes we use are for our response-

Code 1/2 for non-emergent (usually either IFT or transfer from cardiac clinic to hospital)
Code 3 emergent with fire
Code 4 emergent with no fire
Code 5-10 less frequent stuff like out of town transport, etc.

Dispatch tells us the nature of the call and what our response is. Everything else more or less is just said.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
We use plain English (Well, that is debatable) mostly. Some people still use 10-4 in place of roger and dispatch does still ask for our 20 (location) and request we 21 (call by phone) them though.