OKC Johntv vid -A suspected street prostitute treated suspiciously by EMS

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
No where in HIPAA does it say you can't take photos... it says you can't release PHI or patient identifiers. If pictures weren't allowed, textbooks would be quite bland.

I was always under the impression that taking photos for educational purposes was ok, but that taking them of patients for personal use was disallowed...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I was always under the impression that taking photos for educational purposes was ok, but that taking them of patients for personal use was disallowed...

The issue comes in with agency rules, not HIPAA. If a patient can never be identified from the information released, HIPAA couldn't care less.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Too many monday-morning quaterbacks here and elsewhere. Too many holier-than-thou types in EMS. That is why the profession will never go anywhere - too many people busy thinking about themselves instead of the whole. Too many can't even provide any more courtesy to their colleagues than some ignorant viewer at home. I find the EMS communities response to the video to be far more despicable than anything depicted in the video.

You're absolutely right. We should never think out loud. We should keep our thoughts to ourselves. We should not discuss anything with each other. EMS will only move forward by doing this. </sarcasm>

Really? Thinking about themselves? I think most of the comments were referring to the patient and her care, as well as discussing whether the those taking pictures were allowed to do so.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Advice given to me long ago

"Always ask: how will this look on the 6 oclock news."

I watched the video before i read any of the comments.

I saw the standard "circle of death" that forms when you have 5 firefighters standing around looking at a single patient.

It doesn't matter how good of care is provided, when you have more people than you need, some people will be standing around with nothing to do. (It never looks good, especially when the patient is actually very bad.)

I didn't hear any verbal communication. So there is no telling what or if anything was said by the patient or to the patient.

She was head down on an incline, (saw that first time through) responders turned her around, and they should have, what would you expect them to do?

They checked her vitals on the unedited version, they did not hook up the LP 12. But how can we say they needed to? She may have been communicating with them. She may have refused. They may have decided not to cut off her cloths in public because she wasn't sick enough and were doing her a favor by not cutting the few belongings she may have.

Imagine the headline if they just started stripping her down.

I have used a 4 person extremity lift to put gunshot victims on a cot before. They didn't bounce her head off the ground.

There is no telling what the EMS people were like or what care transpired after loading.

The hot topic is the pictures. This is a tricky topic.

While I don't think providers should be using personal cell phone cameras for their entertainment, so I might find a bit of fault with the FF that did it, there is the possibility that she was assaulted or the victim of another crime and a police officer taking pictures may be for evidence purposes later.

Nobody would be complaining if the pictures taken by the cop on his personal phone because the dept didn't provide him one, were used to procecute a pimp or assailant.

You also didn't hear the FFs, cops, or medics calling her Ma'am, Ms. or even by name. Which could reasonably have happened.

The only way I can see this getting better is to eliminate the truck and crew. But then somebody will complain about response times. Of course those don't look as dramatic on TV.

I am also suspect of reporters who stand and film for 10 minutes without trying to help "the oppressed" in some manner if they see something they truly believe is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I am also suspect of reporters who stand and film for 10 minutes without trying to help "the oppressed" in some manner if they see something they truly believe is wrong.

And to add to this, all signs of life were removed in the edited version of video. Creative editing for a reason.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
So what did they need to respond and quint for? what exactly did OKCFD do? Just to justify their existence?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Probably came out as an unconscious patient, and they had a Paramedic on board.

+1

Seems every call for an "unresponsive person" turn out to be drunks or drugs... sometime homeless :rofl: