Officer/partner in trouble

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
My partner is either my boyfriend, or one of my best friends. Sometimes my partner is my brother. You bet your *** I'll be jumping in to help them. Even if it's just a random fill in partner, I'm still going to defend them.

It's not about being a hero; I'm not going to expect a front-page spread in the newspaper or to be the head story on the 5 o'clock news. It's about making sure my partner makes it home to their family. You can call me stupid if you want, or tell me that I'd be making the wrong decision, but I'd rather die knowing they can make it home, than go home to my family while my partner's family mourns over a six-foot deep hole.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Now consider this. What if it isnt your partner that's getting assaulted. What if its your best friend? Or your spouse? Or your child? Are you going to stand back and call for help and just watch them get beat? Or are you going to get in there and start splitting some wigs? I know what I would do.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but my wife and my children go into a wholly different category than random coworker "A".

I get along great with my partner. Wouldn't hesitate to defend her in most circumstances. But I'm not wading into a circumstance where I'm likely to get stomped/killed myself. It's massively counterproductive. I don't expect her too either. If y'all are that gungho about the "partner relationship" than good for you, that's your decision to make. However, thinking yourself better than those that may have cooler heads/different priorities isn't right either. Revisit the idea in a few years and see where your priorities lay.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
My partner is either my boyfriend, or one of my best friends. Sometimes my partner is my brother. You bet your *** I'll be jumping in to help them. Even if it's just a random fill in partner, I'm still going to defend them.

I'm not sure as to the wisdom of partnering with family and/or people whom your in a relationship with.

It's not about being a hero; I'm not going to expect a front-page spread in the newspaper or to be the head story on the 5 o'clock news. It's about making sure my partner makes it home to their family. You can call me stupid if you want, or tell me that I'd be making the wrong decision, but I'd rather die knowing they can make it home, than go home to my family while my partner's family mourns over a six-foot deep hole.

Nope, won't call you stupid, it's your decision to make, and my person feelings on the intelligence of it don't enter into it. But don't call me cowardly either. At the end of the day my responsibility is to my family. Leaving my wife a widow and children fatherless for a partner in my view isn't fair. That doesn't even get into the financial, psychological and social issues involved in my death in a situation where I essentially chose my partner over them. Your priorities in life change. Mine did when I got married and had kids.

Enforcer400

Forum Ride Along
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but my wife and my children go into a wholly different category than random coworker "A".

its not a random coworker, its your partner. your partner needs to be able to trust you and know that you will do the right thing. i.e. helping them if they're getting attacked by someone. its not some hero complex its doing the right thing.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
its not a random coworker, its your partner. your partner needs to be able to trust you and know that you will do the right thing. i.e. helping them if they're getting attacked by someone. its not some hero complex its doing the right thing.

At the end of the day, my partner, no matter how much I like them, how long I've worked them, ect, does not fall into the same category as my wife and kids. Won't. Ever. Period.

Define the right thing. I've stood up for my partner, defended them to coworkers who were in the wrong, and tried to take care of them the best I could. It's my job, for one trust is important in a working relationship, second as the senior person on the truck it's ultimately my responsibility. I just don't see getting killed or maimed as part of that. Other responsibilities are more important.

I'm not talking about not "helping out if someone is attacking them". I'm specifically referring to situations in which my intervention is very likely to not only fail but lead to me ending up in the same position as the person I'm helping. I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone thinks intervening in that instance is a good idea.

Let's change the situation slightly. If your partner was in a cloud of toxic gas, and you knew trying to remove them would very likely not only be unsuccessful, but result in your death/permanent disability as well, would you still try to remove them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enforcer400

Forum Ride Along
well if my partner was in a cloud of toxic gas id just pull my gas mask out of my back pocket :rolleyes: .... but seriously there is nothing you could really do and in that situation there would be no way to reach my partner without just killing myself also. not every potentially life threatening situation is there a guarantee that i would be killed along with my partner. doing the right thing is letting police and fire do their job but if for some reason they cant or just aren't there yet, like in some more rural areas, it may be up to me to try to save my partner.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
well if my partner was in a cloud of toxic gas id just pull my gas mask out of my back pocket :rolleyes: .... but seriously there is nothing you could really do and in that situation there would be no way to reach my partner without just killing myself also. not every potentially life threatening situation is there a guarantee that i would be killed along with my partner. doing the right thing is letting police and fire do their job but if for some reason they cant or just aren't there yet, like in some more rural areas, it may be up to me to try to save my partner.

If you've ever seen what three to four committed people can do with fist and feet, not to mention weapons, when focused against a downed opponent (i.e. not a barfight where everyones fighting everyone) then you'd realize why the comparision to a cloud of gas is valid. If you haven't, then your deluding yourself about how effective you'll be in this case.

This isn't Hollywood, it's not a schoolyard fight. In another life I was involved in both martial arts and practical handgunning. If you study real applications of self-defense, your realize how deadly this stuff can be.

reaper

Working Bum
So you join in and now it a group drunks beating on 2 EMTs with fists and feet! What have you done, but put yourself in harms way? You sure did not save your partner.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
**Quoted post removed**

My next question is how did said EMT get into this position in the first place? Maybe I just haven't worked in a "city environment" enough (doubtful) but I can't imagine ending up on the floor getting beat by a mob in a situation that didn't involve a).me COMPLETELY losing situational awareness; b).me being an @sshole or c).both.

Last edited by a moderator:

threesevenkilo

Forum Probie
My next question is how did said EMT get into this position in the first place? Maybe I just haven't worked in a "city environment" enough (doubtful) but I can't imagine ending up on the floor getting beat by a mob in a situation that didn't involve a).me COMPLETELY losing situational awareness; b).me being an @sshole or c).both.

Said EMT was talking to the patient and the patient's buddy wouldn't stop answering the questions being asked to the patient. After finally being told to just back off, said assclown decided to get his buddies together and come after the EMT for telling him to back off. Not too hard to get knocked to the ground by someone standing when you're down on one knee already.

Enough of this pissing contest, we've gone far off topic.

reaper

Working Bum
If you are in a bar of drunks, you do not tell them to back off! You talk to them calmly and politely and explain to them what you are doing and why.

Again, this comes down to knowing how to talk to people and diffuse situations verbally. This comes from experience in the actual field and not 3rd person stories.

You jump right on in there and they are carrying you both out! Hopefully still breathing.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
If you are in a bar of drunks, you do not tell them to back off! You talk to them calmly and politely and explain to them what you are doing and why.

Again, this comes down to knowing how to talk to people and diffuse situations verbally. This comes from experience in the actual field and not 3rd person stories.

You jump right on in there and they are carrying you both out! Hopefully still breathing.

I learned in medical priority dispatching that people tend to cooperate when you give them a request with a reason. This has worked for me in so many phases of life:

"Ma'am, please answer the questions so we can send the right help for your husband."

became

"Honey, please bring me home some chocolate so I won't be a raving lunatic tomorrow."

and can also be applied to

"Sir, please don't answer the questions for your friend. I need to be able to evaluate his thinking. Please feel free to tell the nice firefighter anything you feel is important for me to know."

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I haven't encountered many drunks who like to cooperate with people.

Funny, the large majority of the ones I encounter have no problem with it. However, I make sure to treat them with respect and explain the benefits to cooperation.

Early in my career I didn't, and back then I thought all drunks were uncooperative. I often made things far more difficult than they had to be.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Funny, the large majority of the ones I encounter have no problem with it. However, I make sure to treat them with respect and explain the benefits to cooperation.

Early in my career I didn't, and back then I thought all drunks were uncooperative. I often made things far more difficult than they had to be.

+10

And the tend to respond in a similar tone that they were spoken to. I can escalate any drunk to physical blows, it seems. Works the same way in reverse.

And I find that providers who can't see this, in general, aren't going to.

Enforcer400

Forum Ride Along
I would love to have PTs like that. Ours are usually at one end of the spectrum or the other(unconcious or un-cooperative).