Officer/partner in trouble

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Last night, I was working with the EMS club at my college. There was a dance for urban education students from nearby Springfield, and things did NOT go very well. Basically, there was a lot of rivalry between the people there. I believe that some of it might have been gang related.

We were on standby once the situation began to go south. There was an angry crowd, and there were around 4 fights in a relatively short amount of time. The cops had their hands full, and were clearly outnumbered.

This situation got me thinking. If there was an officer that was in trouble (or your partner, for that matter), and there were no other officers nearby or available (or there were not enough), would you come to their assistance (for this scenario, consider that you are on duty)? I know what my answer would be.

This may sound like a stupid question, but I ask this because the number one rule in EMS is personal safety. But are there times that you would put your safety at risk?

Thankfully, no officers were injured, but at least one of them was in a bad situation at least once during the whole thing (a fight on the dance floor that I believe she was close to). Hearing her radio transmissions nearly made my heart stop.

Stay safe out there,
Eric

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Last night, I was working with the EMS club at my college. There was a dance for urban education students from nearby Springfield, and things did NOT go very well. Basically, there was a lot of rivalry between the people there. I believe that some of it might have been gang related.

We were on standby once the situation began to go south. There was an angry crowd, and there were around 4 fights in a relatively short amount of time. The cops had their hands full, and were clearly outnumbered.

This situation got me thinking. If there was an officer that was in trouble (or your partner, for that matter), and there were no other officers nearby or available (or there were not enough), would you come to their assistance (for this scenario, consider that you are on duty)? I know what my answer would be.

This may sound like a stupid question, but I ask this because the number one rule in EMS is personal safety. But are there times that you would put your safety at risk?

Thankfully, no officers were injured, but at least one of them was in a bad situation at least once during the whole thing (a fight on the dance floor that I believe she was close to). Hearing her radio transmissions nearly made my heart stop.

Stay safe out there,
Eric

if that is ever a test question... dont do it. but i would, and i do believe many would take a bit of risk for their partner. i know i would in a heart beat.
A co worker has done it for me once, i have not had the oppurtunity to return the favor to anyone

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
though i have put myself in one or two extremely unsafe in unpredictable, uncontrollable situations for complete strangers before.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
if that is ever a test question... dont do it. but i would, and i do believe many would take a bit of risk for their partner. i know i would in a heart beat.
A co worker has done it for me once, i have not had the oppurtunity to return the favor to anyone

Yeah, I realize not to answer that I would help. But the thing is, real life is different than a test.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
though i have put myself in one or two extremely unsafe in unpredictable, uncontrollable situations for complete strangers before.

I would only do it for a partner (or another public servant), or maybe a child as well.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You're asking a public forum a question that's entirely up to the individual. This is really a person call on your part.

I take care of my colleagues.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
you may do it for a complete stranger, if death was imminent if you did not intervene.

For a random stranger, if death was imminent, I would probably intervene.

For an officer, partner, firefighter, or child, I would intervene if they were in any sort of danger.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
You're asking a public forum a question that's entirely up to the individual. This is really a person call on your part.

I take care of my colleagues.

Yeah, I realize I am going to get a lot of different answers. Like I said, I know when I would intervene. I was just wondering what others would do.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
For a random stranger, if death was imminent, I would probably intervene.

Unless there was a weapon present. Then I would have to reevaluate this statement.

But if there was a weapon involved with a child, officer, etc., I would probably still intervene.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
how do you propse intervening if a weapon is present and your partner/officer is down?

I would have to figure out a way. Worst comes to worst, I would use my knife that I will carry or an ASP. It's not an easy scenario. Sometimes, it's necessary to put yourself in harms way.

As of now, I do not want to carry a gun while on duty. But I will have to give it some serious thought.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
By the way, I will say that I will wear a bullet-resistant vest whenever I am on duty.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I would have to figure out a way. Worst comes to worst, I would use my knife that I will carry or an ASP. It's not an easy scenario. Sometimes, it's necessary to put yourself in harms way.

As of now, I do not want to carry a gun while on duty. But I will have to give it some serious thought.[/QUOTE

i will leave my fate up to chance, nature, things out of any human's control, but will not chance my life where one human controls the outcome.
for example i once went on an ocean rescue with extreme lightening, winds high enough to tip the towers over and hail. could barely see to drive down the beach, but somehow managed to "see" something not quite right in the water. made several announcements over the PA. for some reason, i opened the door,could hear screaming, stuck my head out(without the glass i could sorta make out 3 figures, two holding one guy up). called it in and went in the water, all 3 of them ended up getting transported.
But if there were a similar situation involving a gun or anything that would put my fate into another persons hands, would probably be a no go.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Completely situational dependent. There's a reason why there were officers sitting wounded during the North Hollywood Shootout until they were able to borrow an armored car.

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
I would assist to the best of my ability, I have been in this situation before at one of my places of employment and recieved two stab wounds, and multiple concussions; this being said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. As stated previously this is situational dependant, there are too many factors to try and imagine.

Just have to remember, if you, as an bls/als responder are injured, not only will someone have to treat you, but you won't be able to use your abilities to help others. In the end, your entry into the fray, could possibly do more damage than good.

As far as your partner goes, I would jump in regardless, because i would want them to do the same for me. All goes to trust.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Just have to remember, if you, as an bls/als responder are injured, not only will someone have to treat you, but you won't be able to use your abilities to help others. In the end, your entry into the fray, could possibly do more damage than good.

Which is why (unless it is my partner, child, etc.), it would be situational dependent.