Officer/partner in trouble

Ghando14

Forum Probie
I would imagine that if anyone on here is fire medic, they would be used to putting themselves in harms way for partners and strangers. The general mentality of the EMS is helping others at some cost to you. EMS employees tend to be kinda altruistic by nature.

As for me, I would hope that if I was in trouble that some guidelines someone else wrote wouldn't stop my partner from saving my butt, and I know it wouldn't stop me.

Enforcer400

Forum Ride Along
I would imagine that if anyone on here is fire medic, they would be used to putting themselves in harms way for partners and strangers. The general mentality of the EMS is helping others at some cost to you. EMS employees tend to be kinda altruistic by nature.

As for me, I would hope that if I was in trouble that some guidelines someone else wrote wouldn't stop my partner from saving my butt, and I know it wouldn't stop me.

I couldn't agree more Ghando14.

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
If it wasn't for people putting themselves in harms way there would be no hero's.

If I'm having a brew with my partner and someone comes after me I have no doubt that he would jump in and help me chuck norris the fellas. Why would punching the clock change him having my back? or anyone else on the team for that matter. The first person that says "Sorry I pull that guy off you, it's not safe" at a minimum loses the trust of everyone on the dept, and probably gets creatively let go.

The book says "CYA" I would contend that part of personal safety is knowing that you and your partner are watching each others backsides.

threesevenkilo

Forum Probie
If I'm having a brew with my partner and someone comes after me I have no doubt that he would jump in and help me chuck norris the fellas. Why would punching the clock change him having my back? or anyone else on the team for that matter.

Outstanding!:beerchug:

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Very interesting thread indeed. I can honestly say I work in a fairly rough area and although P.D. is dispatched anytime the scene is deemed "unsafe' by communications there are times where you happen to just walk into bad situations. I am not going to go into full explaination on the types of situations or get into a "well if the scene is unsafe you should backout" discussion because sometimes this isn't an option. Bottom line is the type of person I am I could not stand back and watch someone else get beat/suffer and not intervene. Especially my partner, who is a female, who I work with every fourth day, who is married, and has a child. I would obviously call for help prior to trying to intervene and make our situation and location know but after doing that I could not just stand there and wait for the help to arrive. I think everyone has a different comfort level, and that is ok. I have a LE background and in no way think of myself as a tough guy but I don't fear anyone nor if placed in a situation as above am I super concerned with my personal safety at that given second. Some may think this is dumb but if I could save my partner, a child, family member, etc from death and had to risk my life in the process I am ok with that. I have done this countless times in fires, military people do it everyday for our freedom, etc. I truely believe when its your time to go its your time to go. Everyone can Monday morning quaterback the situation if something were to happen to me and I am not going to lose sleep over it.

The problem with America is everyone is scared to act on a situation now a days.

Last edited by a moderator:

fireemsmike

Forum Ride Along
Last night, I was working with the EMS club at my college. There was a dance for urban education students from nearby Springfield, and things did NOT go very well. Basically, there was a lot of rivalry between the people there. I believe that some of it might have been gang related.

We were on standby once the situation began to go south. There was an angry crowd, and there were around 4 fights in a relatively short amount of time. The cops had their hands full, and were clearly outnumbered.

This situation got me thinking. If there was an officer that was in trouble (or your partner, for that matter), and there were no other officers nearby or available (or there were not enough), would you come to their assistance (for this scenario, consider that you are on duty)? I know what my answer would be.

This may sound like a stupid question, but I ask this because the number one rule in EMS is personal safety. But are there times that you would put your safety at risk?

Thankfully, no officers were injured, but at least one of them was in a bad situation at least once during the whole thing (a fight on the dance floor that I believe she was close to). Hearing her radio transmissions nearly made my heart stop.

Stay safe out there,
Eric

Know your local laws as an EMS provider. Coming to the aid of an officer can be both good and bad. Some states are clear that unless a sworn officer you may not touch nor attempt to handle any person no matter what. AKA the PT could be beating you in the back of an ambulance and all u can do is take it. It is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of but it has come up. A firefighter , sworn to protect life and property can however. Again depends on state and local laws. Now finding an officer that will arrest an EMS provider trying to save himself is rare. However they have arrested us for blocking lanes before.
In my personal opinion, its not what your there for. Best thing you can do if the situation is going to hell is to go to your unit, tell dispatch and/or call a signal 1 (if the situation is that bad). It is not your job to carry a badge and a gun. Not to sound like that guy because I've helped when I shouldn't have. You never realize it till your situation goes very wrong that you don't want to be anywhere near it. Hope this helps. Stay safe.