octopic pregancy

barry

Forum Ride Along
What r the first signs of an octopic pregancy

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Etopic pregnancy

usually severe abdominal pain, sometimes feels like a tearing pain across lower abdomen with or without bleeding.
usually in the first ten weeks of possible pregnancy.

I was taught to treat every woman with severe abd pain that has any chance at all of being pregnant (including the ones that deny the chance) as etopic pregnancy until proven otherwise with ultrasound in the ER.

2 big IV's wide open, and High FLow O2, and lots of diesel

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I could have sworn this same question was posted before, with the same misspelling in the title, and the same funny answers. In fact, I recall seeing this post twice, and getting de ja vu over it about a month ago. Am I going crazy?

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I could have sworn this same question was posted before, with the same misspelling in the title, and the same funny answers. In fact, I recall seeing this post twice, and getting de ja vu over it about a month ago. Am I going crazy?

*insert twilight zone music here*

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The first warning signs of an ectopic pregnancy are often pain and vaginal bleeding or spotting. Other symptoms could include dizziness or syncope(caused by blood loss), hypotension, tachycardia (also caused by blood loss) and lower back pain. The pain may concentrate on one side of the pelvis and come and go or vary in intensity. Most women will describe the pain as sharp and stabbing.

This is also one of those conditions that may refer pain to a shoulder or neck if blood from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy builds up and irritates certain nerves.

Sasha

Forum Chief
OP
OP
B

barry

Forum Ride Along
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

only1jomo

Forum Probie
Im not an EMT yet so I can't speak for what the books say but I have had 5 (yes 5) ectopic pregnancies. Only one caused some minor shoulder pain and I think I may have imagined the pain because I was afraid. The only true symptom I had was brown spotting. Very brown, like old blood and it almost always started about 8-9 weeks along. In 2 of them I hadn't even missed a period yet and in the other 3 I was only about a week or two late. I only experienced severe abdominal pain after my ultrasounds and then the pain was unbearible. Personally I say, NEVER rule out ectopic just because the patient doesn't complain of the "correct" symptoms.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Could be worse. Our old practice manager asked pts if they'd ever had any "topical pregnancies."

I really don't want to think about what that would look like.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Funny, considering that message actually dissapears when you press the quick reply button.

:nosoupfortroll: