NY to FL move..EMT Needs tips

dkobos

Forum Ride Along
So I'm planning to move to Florida from NYC, I am a NYS EMT with NYC 911 experience and was wondering what I have to do to work in FL or if national registry is enough. Also does anyone have any tips on where would be the best places to work/find an EMT job in FL, decent pay to be able to live of. I also want to attend paramedic school down. ANy tips would be greatly appreciated.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Where in FL are you moving to? That alone determines many possibilities.

OP
OP
D

dkobos

Forum Ride Along
Where in FL are you moving to? That alone determines many possibilities.

still trying to figure that out based on job availability, pay, etc.... I really want to move to miami.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Expect to work for the private inter-facility companies then and earn low wages....Majority of Florida is Fire-Rescue so you need to be dual trained. Which means attending a fire academy (and very few out of state academies qualify) and due to the demand, the wait list to get in a fire academy can be long in some areas and then once you are done, you will be 1 of 1000s certified FF/EMTs looking for a job.

That is the reality of Emergency Services in majority of FL. If you go Central FL or more north, then your opportunities expand. Wages do not, but cost of living goes down some.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Be patient, we do have several members who live and work in that area and can give you more specifics. Tough relocation if your intent is to stay 911.

soflffpm

Forum Ride Along
Like akflightmedic said, majority of the ems down here is ran by fire-rescue. Almost all of the departments won't hire you unless you're a Firefigher-Paramedic. There are departments in northern Florida that will hire you as an firefighter-EMT. There are still some counties that have ems that isn't ran by fire rescue. I know manatee county, Lee county and volusia county are a few but you have to do more research. If you want to work as an EMT in the Miami area you would be working for a private transport company or possibly in the ER. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Okaloosa county also is a third service that hires any level

OP
OP
D

dkobos

Forum Ride Along
thanks for alll the info guys do you think working for AMR is a bad idea while i am going to medic school down there as well so I would look into becoming a firefighter if its easier to get hired as a firefrighter medic

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Here in Central FL there are two counties that have stand-alone EMS Services: Lake and Volusia County. Both are usually pretty steady on hiring since they often lose people to fire departments.

In Tampa there's Sunstar Paramedics, which is a private service that runs dual response to Hillsborough county. They also do inter-facility transports. This is purely hearsay, but I've heard the work conditions are pretty stressful even by EMS standards. They also tend to be hiring pretty constantly. They've got a hiring bonus of $35K after five years of work

In Orlando there's two private services. American Ambulance, which only does inter-facility, and Rural Metro/AMR, which does inter-facility and dual response for Orlando and parts of Orange County. In Brevard County there's Coastal Health which I believe is only inter-facility.

Working for a private service while you go to school might be your only option. It's fine, but I wouldn't get comfy there. Maybe Sunstar since they pay better, but the RMA/AMR, American Ambulances of the world just don't offer much in the way of a career IMO.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am by no means trying to dissuade you from your your dreams, if you want it, you can do it. Believe me, I embrace this mentality. With that being said, you need to give consideration to reality.

Saying "I will just become a FF so I can get hired" is not that simple. Do your homework please and make plans based on that. Set realistic goals for yourself and then analyze why you want to do things your way versus a different way with same end result but less hardship.

Let's take your FF comment:

1. You need to apply to the Fire Academy...in FLORIDA. These are offered at most of the community colleges and there are a few stand alone private outfits. There is a competitive process to get in these programs! There are waiting lists. If you go private to get faster schooling you will pay more, but that may be one way to get to where you want to be faster.

The Academy full time is 3 months...this is M-F full day evolutions. You have very little time for any work, keep this in mind.
Part time academy is a few nights a week (mine was Tues, Wed and Thurs and all day Saturday...with a sometimes Sunday). These schedules are doable around someone's full time work schedule, but still very exhausting.

You will find various schedules offered, again you need to do your homework. Once you graduate their academy and pass their final...you now need to be tested by the State. The state usually comes to your school and tests you there, however I have seen/heard of a few shady outfits which graduate you then tell you good luck and now it is up to you to find a way to test...this is not an easy thing to do as there is both a written exam and a physical test. Stick with the colleges and no issue.

2. Now you are a FF/EMT...what to do? Apply! Apply everywhere!! Why? Because literally there is NOTHING unique about your skill set. I promise you for every 1 job opening advertised, there will be 1000+ applicants especially in S. Florida. You will have guys who already have been working on departments trying to cross over, people with years experience, it is VERY competitive.

If you focus on smaller departments, more rural counties, etc...you have a much better chance of getting hired. Stepping stone...everyone does it in FL, a few decide they like it and never leave...but the younger generation come and go. Most do not stop being considered a new hire until after 5 years...after that they are probably gonna stay! LOL

There is nothing wrong with this, it is your dream...get there however you have to. But it is tough. Doable but tough.

Keep in mind, while you are going to FF School and struggling to work as an EMT, you are NOT entering Medic school! You are delaying what your end goal is.

Network, get on many websites and ask and ask! There are some departments (less these days) who will hire a paramedic and then send him/her to fire school. This is a good situation if you can find it. You will not find a department in such dire need of an EMT that they will send one to FF school, there are just far too many applicants for that.

Without knowing much of your situation...I am going to make an assumption here. You are single with no kids. If this were me, I would hit central FL or way further north in the rural counties. The cost of living is lower and the likelihood of getting hired as an EMT is high. I would ensure there was a community college close enough (within an hours drive or so) that offered both Fire Academy and Paramedic School. I would do paramedic school first as it is the more challenging and fastest way to increase my paycheck. (It also gives you preference when you apply for fire academy and makes you marketable for any other jobs which may pay more or send you to fire school as I said above). Once I had my paramedic, I would then get all the experience I could with said employer and then start the fire academy. Then I would research and decide where to go and apply...there always has been and always will be TONS of departments hiring....FL is always growing and the old people never stop relocating. This is "heaven's waiting room" ya know...

**Keep in mind that going to the fire academy is one of the best way to gain a job and get your name out there. Do not make this mistake and think all the instructors work for the school. Most if not all are Fire Dept employees from surrounding areas and they do and are vetting you the entire time without you knowing it. It is a great way to screen applicants before they ever even apply!!