Number 972

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Hello All,

My name is Jeff, and I have just been accepted into the Paramedic program in Griffin, GA. I am getting prepared for a 9 month endeavor to become one of the crazy brave-an EMT........(dramatic music plays....)

I grew up watching John Gage and Roy DeSoto work miracles on people with everything from heart attacks to getting a kid's head unstuck from a balcony to the guy who choked on the pull-off beer can tab......(echoes of KMG365)...

I have come to a point where I am now taking care of my parents while being a husband and father to my own two kids.

My parents? They are better than any textbook we can get a school. Both insulin diabetic,Type II. Mom had CABGx4, Dad with a hx of CVA&TIAs.

Basically, I wanted to put a little of the experiences to better use for my fellow humans. I have seen firsthand how people are treated by the medical system, and I wanted to help somehow. So, I have purchased several books about EMS, and realized that I may have a calling in this weird, wonderful, frustrating business.

I have begun to read every thing I can get my hands on pertaining to EMTs. I want to be a success, and I believe I can. After all, it beats digging ditches, don't it?:rolleyes:

Any words of encouragement or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have read most of the posts on this forum, and everyone here seems to be very supportive of the rookies.

Thanks for letting me ramble for a minute..

Jeff

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome.

Are you currently an EMT, or are you going through a program that takes you to EMT, then Medic, straight off the street?

OP
OP
emtwannabe

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Jon,

The program I have signed up for is Basic I, Basic II, and then Intermediate. After I complete my Intermediate, I have the option of going straight to EMT-P, if I so desire.

I am really looking forward to working on the truck. I have always been the one in my family to appreciate Darwin at work. I sit in front of the TV and eat a rare steak watching Discovery Health Channel, and saying "Hey, I can do that!!" So, I am giving it a shot.

Jeff

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'd have to say the Seminoles cause both my roommate and my boss went there.