NREMT –Felony Conviction Policy

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
After reading a couple posts here in regard to this subject, I was motivated to do a little research about it. I hope it answers some questions for those who asked! Since many states are becoming more aligned with NREMT, I figured using these standards will cover most everyone. If you fall in this area of interest, I would still advise you to research further at your state level. You should be able to do that on your State’s Department of Homeland Security’s website.

Read the complete article: https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/policy_felony.asp

For those with whom this topic relates, understand that you will still endure hurdles when seeking employment.

As a summary, there are three categories of denial; (1) General Denial-In short, pretty much don’t even bother trying (2) Presumptive Denial-you better be prepared to provide a good case as to why your past misdeeds should be forgiven (3) Discretionary Denial-you may get denied if your crime fits certain criteria. For those who asked about a DUI, this crime fell under this category.

Chan

Forum Crew Member
A DUI isn't a felony until after your third offense. I've heard of fire fighters obtaining jobs with a DUI on their record.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The section that deals with DUIs doesn't limit it to just felony DUI. It's any crimes besides minor traffic offenses (which, in California, traffic offenses are criminal in nature. Just to throw that out there before someone brings up civil vs criminal offenses).

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
A DUI isn't a felony until after your third offense. I've heard of fire fighters obtaining jobs with a DUI on their record.

On their record could mean ten years ago could you give more detail? Public service agencies are capable of going back into a candidates past including their juvenile record this includes an applicants driving history. Things that people think have disappeared with time are still discoverable to the backround investigators which is why its very important that an applicant put down everything regardless of what they think might have dropped off.

Private employers are more limited but if driving is involved you can bet they will be looking back at least five years depending on your age. If your going to be needing a class A or B commercial drivers license DOT requires employers ask for ten years of job history with explanation for any gaps of unemployment. If you had a serious violation or multipile minor violations that kept you from driving they would need to be explained.

Bottom line is you might be able to get a job with a DUI in your distant pass but its the very rare exception.

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant

Virginia is for Lovers but not drunk drivers. A DUI is a career death sentence here whether you want a job or already have one.