Not EMS Related

007medic

Forum Lieutenant
I know that this is a crazy question, but I was wondering where do June Bugs go in the day time?

We had a June Bug flying around our house the other night, and I got to thinking about it. You never see them out in the day, but in the night they are attracted to light. They just dissapear in the day, or are found dead on the sidewalk.

Anyone have any ideas?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
The "May Beetle" lives in the ground, I recall this b/c it is an enemy to the forests. There was a report this year that the numbers of them in the lower 48 were less because of the unusual weather patterns around the states. We had many warm days in March, April and May that ended with periods of cold and even snow; and lots of rainfall. They believe this began a premature hatching or they left their burrows and died from the cold. Typically they burrow 2-3 feet into the ground for the winter, obviously not below the frost line. Frost is known to go 10-12 feet, so their placement in the ground would be key to avoid the weather.

And they aren't night time bugs, they can be found at most times of the day, but their primary living enviroment is in the ground. They feed on other bugs, and store them in their burrow, as they typically only come out in May-September.

OP
OP

007medic

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you for the information.

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 18 2005, 01:45 PM
The "May Beetle" lives in the ground
She was talking about the "JUNE BUGS" not the May beetle. :lol: :lol:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Either way, remind me never to play Trivial Pursuit against Ttlwhkr.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by vtemti+Jul 18 2005, 04:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vtemti @ Jul 18 2005, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Jul 18 2005, 01:45 PM
She was talking about the "JUNE BUGS" not the May beetle. :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
The "June Bug"... IS the "May Beetle".

They come out in the spring (MAY), and "hibernate" in the fall (October).

OP
OP

007medic

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by vtemti+Jul 18 2005, 04:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vtemti @ Jul 18 2005, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Jul 18 2005, 01:45 PM
She was talking about the "JUNE BUGS" not the May beetle. :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
OK, well I just assumed that Alex was talking about the same bug.

OP
OP

007medic

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Jul 18 2005, 10:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Jul 18 2005, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by vtemti@Jul 18 2005, 04:52 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR
@Jul 18 2005, 01:45 PM

They come out in the spring (MAY), and "hibernate" in the fall (October). [/b][/quote]
I am still going to assume that they are the same bug.

TJC

Forum Probie
They are the same bug...Joshua just told me so and if anyone would know it would be him. I'll send you his email address if you need anymore info on bugs, toads, or other critters that most of us try to avoid. :blink:

Ian

Forum Crew Member
I was riding in a car that has no front windshield(Caterham 7), and we were going pretty fast on a road course. I had one of these fly threw the tiny crack in my helmet at about 120mph(our speed) and smack me in the face. I had a black eye, and a bruise from my black eye to the top of my lip it was insane!

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by 007medic+Jul 18 2005, 11:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (007medic @ Jul 18 2005, 11:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 18 2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by vtemti@Jul 18 2005, 04:52 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR
@Jul 18 2005, 01:45 PM

They come out in the spring (MAY), and "hibernate" in the fall (October).
I am still going to assume that they are the same bug. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, they are. Was just trying to get a rise out of him, but instead we got more of his wisdom (probably he just recently looked it up on the web). :D

OP
OP

007medic

Forum Lieutenant
That is ok, I don't care how he got the info, but I got my question answered! Thank you very much Alex for sharing your words of wisdom, and thank you TJC for offering a reference point for me. I don't think that I will be researching any more bugs in the very near future, but you never know.

Lyns

trishbug

Forum Ride Along
Haha...I actually wondered the same thing. They're everywhere at night, but then dead in the morning.

I hate those bugs.