North Dakota flooding!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Blub... blubb... Sorry, could not pass that one up. My prayers and thoughts as well. Either drought or flood stricken.. Now snow after having 80+ degree weather.. What's up?

R/r 911

tydek07

Forum Captain
Thanks all,

Well, we just called out for our mutual aid tonight. We start evacuating nursing homes tomorrow. They raised the crest level to 41 feet, which is a record. The river is suppose to crest around Saturday. Flood stage is 18 feet, so we have passed that long ago. The city has been working 24/7 for several days filling sandbags and building dikes. So we will see how things turn out.

As for our ambulance service, our supervisors/management has been planning for over a week... now it is time to put all those plans into action. As I said, we called out for mutual aid tonight and start our evacuation efforts tomorrow. Right now it is just nursing homes, the hospitals are doing good for the time being.

Again thanks, and I will try and keep you informed on what is going on.

tydek

(p.s. I do not have an answer for you R/r haha, I am still asking myself why I stay up here :p )

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
The weather is god's way of saying that he does not want people to live up here. Tydek says that he's helping out, but he forgot to mention how he and his partner were sitting in a parking lot doing nothing, after I just got done with hours of sand bagging :p

tydek07

Forum Captain
Hey now, that was one day for a couple hours... and we were making sure you hard workers stayed safe :p

--we don't get a choice of what we want to do :)

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
6750 post 3

... yes sir... :p

tydek07

Forum Captain
Update

Hi all, figured I would put this here:

It appears that the river has crested. It got up to record levels, but not as high as they were predicting. So now, its just seeing if the levees can hold for a longer period of time. I looked at the news this morning, and it appears that a levee broke early this A.M. and flooded a private school. There are only a few area's of town that have flooded. But several other area's have been evacuated for safety reasons.

As for the EMS side of things, all I can say is... WOW, WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! Thanks to all our mutual aid services, they have worked so hard. It is awesome to see how 50+ ambulance services can come together and work together. My thumbs up goes to our management, they were ready and took control. They were able to direct the mutual aid so smoothly. Everything worked out great! Without the direction our management gave, we would still be evacuating today.

We were in charge of evacuating several nursing homes... went smooth and fast. We also had to evacuate a hospital (2 campuses to this hospital), that went... I don't know a word... flawless?! When they made the decision to evacuate Meritcare North and South Campuses, things went fast and smooth. (I wish I could find the news clip of the ambulances lined up outside the hospital. The line going in and out of the ambulance bay so smoothly.) Ambulances were taken people by ground to other cities, as well as taking NICU and ICU pts to the airport to be flown out.

I learned so much from this. If this is not MCI experience, I do not know what is. Well, I am just yammering so I will stop. I just wanted to give you guys a little update.

Take Care,
tydek

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm so glad you're safe!!

NESDMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the update Ty, it's nice to see that so many agencies are working so great togather, I certainly hope you are not included in the blizzard watch for tonight through tuesday, you have enough to contend with.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Thanks for the update Tydek.
Glad to know all that hard work put in, is paying off. Fingers crossed that everything will hold!!!!
I saw that news article with the shot of all the ambulances.
It looked very impressive! lol.B)

Cheers Enjoynz