Non-"traditional" EMS

FF894

Forum Captain
Just curious what other backgrounds and positions we have on here. I have seen we have a fairly strong wilderness crowd, and recently heard from the coal miner, so I was curious what else is out there. Any EMTs work exclusively in industrial setting? Anyone on here work on a remote oil rig? Tell us about your job, protocols, and unique features of your environment.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Corrections Nurse. Use to help plan and execute reserve field exercises.

I'm the nurse who goes to the "man-downs", inhaler demands, and triages "walk in's". More info on request anytime.;)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
this is probably gpoing to be moved to the specialty forum in the morning.

my sub specialty is high angle/technical rescue.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I worked in Israel for a few months, as an EMT. I currently work part time for a private ambulance, and part time for a college EMS corps.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I spent 3+ years working as a medical responder at a corporate office, as part of the security team.

Not a bad job.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I worked for two summers as an EMT-B at a water park. The vast majority of the guests had minor complaints. Nothing that a little bandaid and tape wouldn't fix. Probably about once a week someone would come in with minor heat exaustion or dehydration that you would baby sit until they felt better (first aid was one of the few air conditioned building in the park and we could obtain gatoraid or bottled water for our patients). Every so often something major would happen that would require a 911 response. Off the top of my head (not all of these were my patients), the park has seen open fractures, a few seizures, some moderate trauma patients, and some moderate to major medical patients. You have to have a good handle on the limitations of the treatments you can offer and at what point you need to upgrade care from first aid to a 911 response.