Non-practicing EMT Recertification

Trek7553

Forum Probie
I am currently registered with the national registry (expiring 3/31/2015) and Colorado state (expiring 10/23/2016). I have not been practicing as an EMT, but I am thinking about volunteering with an ambulance company next year. The company does require NREMT certification so I don't want to let it lapse.

Is it possible to recertify with the NREMT without experience? I am finding conflicting messages on the NREMT website. Some seem to indicate I can take 72 hours of continuing ed while others say I must have six months of experience.

Can someone please help me sort this out? I apologize if this is a duplicate, I did try to search first.

Thank you!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am currently registered with the national registry (expiring 3/31/2015) and Colorado state (expiring 10/23/2016). I have not been practicing as an EMT, but I am thinking about volunteering with an ambulance company next year. The company does require NREMT certification so I don't want to let it lapse.

Is it possible to recertify with the NREMT without experience? I am finding conflicting messages on the NREMT website. Some seem to indicate I can take 72 hours of continuing ed while others say I must have six months of experience.

Can someone please help me sort this out? I apologize if this is a duplicate, I did try to search first.

Thank you!
you need current agency affiliation or have been affiliated with an agency (work/volly) for 6 months of the 2 years you are certified for.

OP
OP
T

Trek7553

Forum Probie
So if it does lapse, how do I renew it? I need a cert to get work, but I need work to get the cert.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
You will need to take a refresher course and retake the cognitive/skills testing for recertification.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
There was a guy in my EMT-B class who accidentally let his certification lapse. He continually said to NOT let your certification lapse. It seems it is generally easier to keep it active than to have to renew everything from scratch.

OP
OP
T

Trek7553

Forum Probie
That's what I've heard about not letting it lapse.

One more question: If I find work as an EMT say in December, can I renew with the national registry in March? The problem I'm facing is that I can't get my IV cert until November which leaves less than 6 months before my national cert expires.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant

One more question: If I find work as an EMT say in December, can I renew with the national registry in March? The problem I'm facing is that I can't get my IV cert until November which leaves less than 6 months before my national cert expires.
Its actually not too hard to recertify if you lapse (as long as it hasn't been too long), all you will need is a certified refresher course and a skills verification. Then you will be able to take the NREMT computer exam again and voila.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I hope you're good at backflips if you let it lapse. I haven't personally been through it but like planetmike said, it happened to my friend and she said it was a nightmare to reinstate it. Anything involving the NREMT is a nightmare though.

Once you've recerted once with an affiliation the next cycle you can apply for inactive status if you're no longer affiliated.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

If you're currently employed as an EMT, then you can recert with no problems. Your medical director will just need to sign or verify your application online, depending which route yoy take.