No Time Limit for Editing posts

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I've updated the setting to 60 minutes.

@agregularguy that would be a cool feature, looking into it now.

Cause you just know that someone is going to get called out for saying something wrong and they'll go back and change it.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
60 is more than reasonable. I also like what (I think it was Facebook) has, where under/above the comment where it says "edited" you can hover over it and see the original comment. This helps combat people going back on what they said before, or deleting their comments, while still letting people edit their grammar/add on to their post.

I've updated the setting to 60 minutes.

@agregularguy that would be a cool feature, looking into it now.

That feature is available for admins. We can see every edit that's made. I'll see if that's a setting for members as well.

Summit

Critical Crazy
That feature is available for admins. We can see every edit that's made. I'll see if that's a setting for members as well.
Practices I have seen on other forums:

1. "Post last edited at X" displayed for ANY edits, even within seconds.
2. "Post last edited at X" displayed for edits occurring after 5 or 10 minutes

I think #2 is preferable if available.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Practices I have seen on other forums:

1. "Post last edited at X" displayed for ANY edits, even within seconds.
2. "Post last edited at X" displayed for edits occurring after 5 or 10 minutes

I think #2 is preferable if available.

Yeah, those are standard options when using the vBulletin forum platform which is widely used by many communities. I'll have to investigate if it's possible with the platform we're using.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm also good with having a 60 minute edit time. There have been times in the past where I've wanted to edit something and couldn't finish my edit before the time limit was up. I'm not so entirely sure we should allow the at-large community to see all the edits as the leadership can, I definitely think the entire community should be able to see when all the edits were made, especially since we now have the 60 minute edit window. I also think that if the community can't see the edits, there should be a mechanism whereby the admins can decide to "unmask" an edit only if it benefits the community.

That's my 2 bits on the edit posts policy.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't believe edits should be unmasked. I know plenty of times somebody has written a reply in the heat of the moment and then going back to redact their inflammatory statements. Those are probably best left hidden

Summit

Critical Crazy
I tried to edit a post om the Wilderness/Military EMS subforum and it gave me the 10 minute limit.

Is it possible the change didn't get applied to that subforum?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm not sure what happened, but I fixed. Sorry about that.

Send me a message with what you want to edit and I'd be happy to make the edit.