No Jobs.

lbstack

Forum Probie
I seem to be having a problem. I am a recent paramedic graduate and am certified in the state of FL. I also have my AA and AS, yet no one wants to hire this newbie. What am I doing wrong? Ive been debating fire school or going back to nursing school. Im sinking.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I seem to be having a problem. I am a recent paramedic graduate and am certified in the state of FL. I also have my AA and AS, yet no one wants to hire this newbie. What am I doing wrong? Ive been debating fire school or going back to nursing school. Im sinking.

Part of the problem with Florida is that a lot of 911 coverage is done by fire departments, and they are notoriously slow to hire. Have you looked at just 911 or have you looked at IFT companies too?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

EMSA-Oklahoma City: Paid relocation, $7500 bonus up to $10,000 with relocation, they'll start you off around $13/hour as a new medic. Plenty of experience and you'll be a Paramedics Plus (Pinellas County, FL also) employee. If you mention me as your voice on the Internet, I'll get money too, so I totally have a vested interest.

In all honesty, you may have to move. The Midwest is begging for medics- OKC is down like 70 medics alone.

Pay's decent for the area and the experience is top-notch. Protocols are solidly conservative.

OP
OP
L

lbstack

Forum Probie
That's a little crazy. I'm not moving halfway across the country to make 13/hr when I can make that as an ER Tech down here. Im pretty sure OK is one of the top ten states that pay the least. I understand it's experience and at this point any will help, but what are some ways I can put myself out there more and better my chances of finding a decent job?

OP
OP
L

lbstack

Forum Probie
I have looked into private companies in my area. I've applied to all I can. Some twice. I'll probably end up at SunStar.

skyhawk

Forum Ride Along
The Ciyt of Mobile, Al Fire Rescue would love to have you. $47,000 to start and get you some suppression time too. Exc retirement/job.

FDJohn

Forum Probie
EMSA-Oklahoma City: Paid relocation, $7500 bonus up to $10,000 with relocation, they'll start you off around $13/hour as a new medic. Plenty of experience and you'll be a Paramedics Plus (Pinellas County, FL also) employee. If you mention me as your voice on the Internet, I'll get money too, so I totally have a vested interest.

In all honesty, you may have to move. The Midwest is begging for medics- OKC is down like 70 medics alone.

Pay's decent for the area and the experience is top-notch. Protocols are solidly conservative.

Are they still doing that? A friend of mine works for EMSA said they're trying to hire up EMTs and medics left and right. I've been an EMT for a couple of YEARS and just reclassified as an Advanced, no job yet.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Are they still doing that? A friend of mine works for EMSA said they're trying to hire up EMTs and medics left and right. I've been an EMT for a couple of YEARS and just reclassified as an Advanced, no job yet.

They're begging for people up here.

FDJohn

Forum Probie
*emailing Emsa* I don't mind moving for work. But they're going to have to meet me in the middle on their interest in hiring me and let me know up front whether it would be in everyone's best interest for me to drive to Oklahoma .

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just a heads up...I'd be willing to bet that relocation bonus gets a fair deal smaller for EMTs if it exists at all. Still a golden opportunity though if you're willing to move and get out in the field.

13/hr for medics is pretty damn low though...Don't wanna ask what they pay EMTs/AEMTs.

FDJohn

Forum Probie
Depending on what they allow you to top out at. Medics and Emts here make about the same but they top out at 55. That's with a boat load of over time. And i didn't think about it pertaining to medics only. Maybe it would be better to wait two more semesterswhen Im done with medic myself

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Depending on what they allow you to top out at. Medics and Emts here make about the same but they top out at 55. That's with a boat load of over time. And i didn't think about it pertaining to medics only. Maybe it would be better to wait two more semesterswhen Im done with medic myself

Agreed.

FWIW our Intermediates start in that range.