NJ Ambulance Crash Claims Life of Patient in Back

SES4

Forum Lieutenant

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Wonder why the rig swerved to the right...

EMT

Forum Probie
Very strange.. on a pretty straight county road? Now i will think twice before i boast about our drivers.

OP
OP
SES4

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
The situation seems a bit odd to me but I will hold judgement until they do a better, more complete investigation. That said I have the same question many do: What caused the driver to swerve?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hmmm, middle of nowhere NJ, maybe sun glare? maybe a deer or other animal? maybe the driver experienced a medical emergency. I don't know, you don't know, until the investigation is completed no one can do anything else beside speculate.

I, for one, am glad that both EMTs only suffered minor injuries.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Flown by helicopter for minor injuries?
yes minor injuries. they were probably flown because the driver was pinned and needed to be extricated, and the attendant as in a vehicle that had one DOA. both are criteria for consideration of a trauma work up due to mechanism.

They were 40 minutes by ground to a trauma center by ground, 15 by air. Add to the fact that one of the helicopters is the same company as the ambulance involved in the crash (the whole "we look after our own" concept), and you can see why they were both flown to trauma centers for precaution, and both were discharged from the ER the following day, with minor injuries.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
yes minor injuries. they were probably flown because the driver was pinned and needed to be extricated, and the attendant as in a vehicle that had one DOA. both are criteria for consideration of a trauma work up due to mechanism.

I dont think in this day mechanism plays quite the same role as it used to. With the advances in automobile technology cars are meant to crumple and come apart. Mechanism used to be a critical determing factor in injury nowdays in my experience it isnt.

People walk away from wrecks they never would have years ago. I dont discount mechanism altogether, I look for intrusion into pt compartment amongst other things. I dont call for a helicopter based on someones Saturn being totaled, I take it into account but I dont base transportation mode on it alone.

My thoughts are with everyone involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

SammyGirlMedic

Forum Probie
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved!

There could be a number of reasons why the driver swerved. I hope an update is posted after the incident is investigated further.

OP
OP
SES4

SES4

Forum Lieutenant