Nice Cops?

IronClaud

Forum Crew Member
Have any of you ever been pulled over and then let go "scotch free" upon the officer finding out you where a member of the EMS family?

amb999

Forum Ride Along
Here in blighty the local Road Policing units do regular drink driving checks in the festive season.
Before I got to know the local guys I had a couple of times where I was flagged down to be breathalysed, as soon as I pulled over, they spotted my para bag or hi viz vest on the rear seat and just waved me on even when I was in civvies.

Also on a few occasions I have been responding for my local service and have been flagged down and waved on straight away not even the tyres have stopped turning!!

daryl

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
my para bag or hi viz vest on the rear seat

LOL!

That is all.

Edit: I've been let off more times than I care to admit. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Couple of times when I was a firefighter.

Kept a wallet badge opposite my license, before these new cards came out that are ruined if they get deformed from the badge. I got chewed out good (they were for speeding) and released.

I NEVER tried to use my sheriff dept affiliation to get out of a speeder, though. "Tinning" (allowing your badge to show when being cited), wearing uniform items off duty, etc. for those purposes is strictly forbidden.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
No one is above the law. I hear my partner and other co-workers talk about getting away without a ticket. I don't agree with that, if you are speeding and get caught... You deserve a ticket. That just speaks for the quality of law enforcement, which is pretty piss poor.

Minnick27

Forum Crew Member
I had a Delaware trooper write me a ticket and then flip out when he saw my uniform shirt on the other seat. He asked why I didn't say anything. I told him I was speeding, why argue. He told me to go to court and fight it because he wouldn't show for it. It was easier to pay it than take the day off and go to dover

JPINFV

Gadfly
No one is above the law. I hear my partner and other co-workers talk about getting away without a ticket. I don't agree with that, if you are speeding and get caught... You deserve a ticket. That just speaks for the quality of law enforcement, which is pretty piss poor.

I agree that no one is above the law, but if you're caught, take it to court. There are plenty of 'outs' in California if you play the game properly.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

I'll be the first to say I won't B*** and moan if I broke the law and got a ticket, HOWEVER:

It's called officer discretion, and they can choose to do everything from verbal warnings to arresting you. Giving a verbal warning is still punishment for breaking a crime. If an officer wants to let someone 'slide', that's their choice.

Think of it in terms of our job: We don't force every drunk to decide between the hospital or an officer, do we? We don't choose to do every single protocol order for a patient, do we? We make judgement calls, we have not only the right, but the expectation, to do that.

Now, back to the OP about "Good cops"... that title makes the assumption that most cops are "bad". It's just the opposite. I've met far more 'good' cops than 'bad' cops, not only in my career, but my personal life.

Having said that, yes, I have gotten out of citations due primarily to me being a Paramedic, and some of the officers have even said as much. I see no problem with that.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Think of it in terms of our job: We don't force every drunk to decide between the hospital or an officer, do we? We don't choose to do every single protocol order for a patient, do we? We make judgement calls, we have not only the right, but the expectation, to do that.

The issue with "discretion" when it comes to the police is when they selectively enforce the law. Police officers refusing to ticket other police officer is corruption, not discretion. If the police feel that they don't need to enforce the law among themselves, then they have no business citing someone else for the same crime.

Now, back to the OP about "Good cops"... that title makes the assumption that most cops are "bad". It's just the opposite. I've met far more 'good' cops than 'bad' cops, not only in my career, but my personal life.

Most cops are bad in the sense that they, at a minimum, tolerate bad cops. The blue line of silence is akin to lying down with dogs. When you lie down with dogs, don't complain when you get fleas.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
If a cop wants to let someone off, whatever... However, I've seen a lot of cops not enforce laws or break them. From not pulling over a person on their cell to cops driving without due regard and nearly running over pedestrians and running reds.

I don't like braggers, especially, those that brag about how many times they've been let off.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

Sasha

Forum Chief
I do appreciate being given a verbal warning. I have gotten them a few times and not always in uniform.

It's amazing what being polite and respectful will do.

Or crying.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Only time I've been pulled over by a cop was for speeding. My honesty and polite mannerism got me off more than my connection with law enforcement (my registration with DMV at the time noted I worked for an agency). I immediately pulled over when I saw him turn around as we passed each other. I was about 7 over the limit, saw him hit his brakes and turn around as I calmly pulled to the side and kept both my hands on the steering wheel.

He checked me out, said I appreciate you not making me chase you down and to watch my speed and bid me a good evening.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
If someone throws you a bone because you're a medic, grab it without bragging or complaining. Just enjoy it for Goddsakes!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If a cop wants to let someone off, whatever... However, I've seen a lot of cops not enforce laws or break them. From not pulling over a person on their cell to cops driving without due regard and nearly running over pedestrians and running reds.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

You break laws on a daily basis, I don't see you going to the police station to turn yourself in.

The issue with "discretion" when it comes to the police is when they selectively enforce the law.
Uh.. that's the very definition of officer discretion...

Most cops are bad in the sense that they, at a minimum, tolerate bad cops. The blue line of silence is akin to lying down with dogs. When you lie down with dogs, don't complain when you get fleas.

Have proof of this?

As someone who is a very vocal proponent of "science based medicine" you sure are making accusations without being able to back it up...

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
It's amazing what being polite and respectful will do.

Or crying.

Or boobies.

Never gotten a ticket in uniform. Never gotten a ticket while wearing a low-cut shirt. Never deliberately tried to show off either, and never will, but that's the way things go.

With all the problems I've gotten for both the job and the body, I don't feel all that guilty when they bring something good. I'm not really happy about it either, but short of insisting the officer give me a ticket, there's nothing I can do. And my budget and career really can't afford morals like that.

Besides, it's human nature to help out other members of your tribe. I don't expect my cops to be perfectly fair--if a friend of mine gets off because an officer thought he had a funny bumper sticker (that's happened), I don't see much difference. All I'm looking for is reasonable. I hope that they wouldn't ignore me if I was actually driving dangerously, rather than just going 5mph over a limit set for the city budget.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Coming from a former law enforcement background, there may have been a blue wall years ago, however, it is disappearing.

I'm not saying it does not exist today, but there are quite a few things being a cop won't get you out of. Can't remember anyone I (or my friends) ever let off for drunk driving or spousal/child abuse or any felony crime for that matter. Also, anything that involves personal integrity.

Lying will lose the job quicker than any type of criminal behavior, not just in law enforcement, but fire or EMS service.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Have proof of this?

As someone who is a very vocal proponent of "science based medicine" you sure are making accusations without being able to back it up...

Let's see. To name two from California alone...

The homicide of Oscar Grant at the hands of Officer Johannes Mehserle.

The brutal beating death of Kelly Thomas at the hands of 6 Fullerton police officers. The one where it took a month for FPD to even seriously begin to look into it.

Are you telling me you've never noticed that when ever a police officer ever does anything remotely wrong, intentional or not, the first thing police officers do is circle the wagons? Heck the Grant/Mehserle incident is akin to physicians circling the wagons around Conrad Murray.

Ever visit the forums at Officer.com?