New to EMS field

word2yamutha

Forum Crew Member
Hello! Well I have a degree in culinary arts and for some reason I cant see myself working in this field any longer. I took one of those career placements test and emt/paramedic was my second choice so I decided to research it. I bought a book off ebay its called Emergency care 10th edition it was like 6 bucks. I have also went on a ride with a friend who is a paramedic. The first accident we saw was a fractured femur. It was pretty cool because the bone was sticking out. I was just wondering if I could prepare in other ways? I registered for emt school in the spring of next year. Im a little nervous since this is a new field to me. Any help would be great :)

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Take some classes at a community college.

Things like Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, Medical Terminology, Math, Organic Chem. They'll help you out if/when you go onto paramedic. Although, they couldn't hurt to have as an EMT.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Hello! Well I have a degree in culinary arts and for some reason I cant see myself working in this field any longer. I took one of those career placements test and emt/paramedic was my second choice so I decided to research it. I bought a book off ebay its called Emergency care 10th edition it was like 6 bucks. I have also went on a ride with a friend who is a paramedic. The first accident we saw was a fractured femur. It was pretty cool because the bone was sticking out. I was just wondering if I could prepare in other ways? I registered for emt school in the spring of next year. Im a little nervous since this is a new field to me. Any help would be great :)

I'm guessing you may have the 10th ed. of my old EMT-B book. Keep reading whatever you have and take notes if you feel like you need to or find anything hard to remember.
Find a local rescue squad and do as many ride alongs that you can and that they allow. Maybe even consider joining a local volunteer squad.
Keep asking questions on this website.
If you want to see what it can be like on hectic calls, go watch some YouTube videos of actual scenes or EMS competition videos. They are funny and yet it'll prepare you for some of the worst/most distracting calls you may see.
Ask your paramedic friend questions.
Again, I highly encourage you to find a volunteer squad near you and ask to observe more or maybe even ask for a vote so you can go on probation if you are actually serious about the field. Since you are registered for a spring EMT-B class, it sounds like you are. You'll get a little hands-on work as you learn more. You'll see more calls and vets are a wonderful source for knowledge and stories. The real world is very different than the classroom world because there are so many different and unique and "what if" situations in the field that the book can't possibly cover. Just be sure you go by the book word for word in class when you test and not by what you actually do in reality.