Which one would you go to?

• Community College

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Tech/Trade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
So i have been trying to decide where to do my paramedic...

1. The Community College ---- first paramedic program this year and with that you get your Assiocates in Emergency Medicine.

2. Tech/Trade School-- Been doing their paramedic programs for many many years, i already did my EMT with them. but no degree but the Community college will give me advanced placement for the RN program with my license.

Side note i have already been accepted into the Tech program that starts in Jan.

Whats your thoughts?

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
You’ll have lots of growing pains in the new program, especially since they don’t have a reputation when you are doing your clinicals at the ED or ambulances. But it is nice to end up with an Associates Degree if you don’t have any other college level degrees. I’d guess the tech school will cost more also.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
All paramedic programs that are "NREMT approved" now need to be eligible for college credit now so you should still be able to get an associates from either.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
All paramedic programs that are "NREMT approved" now need to be eligible for college credit now so you should still be able to get an associates from either.
That is awesome! I did not know that was the case. Source? (Google has failed me on this one so far. I also looked at the NREMT website and their accreditation policy.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
LaceyA

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
intresting! And side note the Tech is about the same cost just more upfront on costs

AceThunderstone

Forum Probie
Tulsa Tech doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to their paramedic program. You have to be pretty motivated to teach yourself going there. EMSA's program actually came about from Tech's struggle to turn out competent paramedics. That's not to say that some good medics went there but it's not your best bet.

TCC's program is new but the school itself is better overall and will probably provide a better education. The program director, Leaugeay Barnes, knows her stuff and isn't new to medicine or teaching. I'd suggest TCC but they'll both ultimately get you certified.

That being said, if you plan on going RN anyway, you might as well just do that and not waste your time with paramedic.

OP
OP
LaceyA

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
Tulsa Tech doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to their paramedic program. You have to be pretty motivated to teach yourself going there. EMSA's program actually came about from Tech's struggle to turn out competent paramedics. That's not to say that some good medics went there but it's not your best bet.

TCC's program is new but the school itself is better overall and will probably provide a better education. The program director, Leaugeay Barnes, knows her stuff and isn't new to medicine or teaching. I'd suggest TCC but they'll both ultimately get you certified.

That being said, if you plan on going RN anyway, you might as well just do that and not waste your time with paramedic.

I'm not going to RN because i really want to... I'm only doing the RN because it is 3 semesters more after paramedic with TCC and since the hospital is reimbursing me i might as well go ahead and do that so I can work PRN or part time as a RN but I mainly want to work as a Paramedic not RN for right now....

Well I called TCC and looks like Tech is what I will have to do since I cant do day classes.. They are not offering evening right now and are unsure of when or if they will. I Know Tech has had some issues in the past but what programs dont?