NEW ORLEANS EMS

Are EMT Basics becoming less valuable compared to EMT-I and EMT-P?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

MLEW6637

Forum Probie
Hey, does anybody know if New Orleans EMS is actively hiring (for EMT-B) or what the hiring process consists of? I know its a pretty popular vacation spot, so I'm sure they are always accepting applications. Just curious because I've always wanted to move there for the past two years--and if I can get my application materials into the right hands I can get there sooner.

Thanks!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Have you checked their website or called HR? They're a far better source than we would be on this.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
From the way I understood it you have to be a volunteer then be promoted/hired into a paid spot. I'm not totally sure on the accuracy of that but that's the way I interpreted their website.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am always amazed at how in this day and age we still have to google for others....rather depressing.

OP
OP
MLEW6637

MLEW6637

Forum Probie
I am always amazed at how in this day and age we still have to google for others....rather depressing.
Not sure who you're referring to, however, if its me--I did google. I just didn't find the exact answer I was looking for....THATS why I asked. Not because I was too lazy to do my own research. Thanks.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
From the way I understood it you have to be a volunteer then be promoted/hired into a paid spot. I'm not totally sure on the accuracy of that but that's the way I interpreted their website.
Ugh really? I had toyed with the idea of trying their process... but I'm not going to waste my time volunteering before I can be promoted to a paid position

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Ugh really? I had toyed with the idea of trying their process... but I'm not going to waste my time volunteering before I can be promoted to a paid position
one 12 hour shift a month, minimum of 2 months.... looks like they want to make sure you have half a brain, can function on the truck, and like it down there, before they offer you a job. Here is the link http://www.nola.gov/ems/vigor/

I'm guessing they have been burned in the past hiring locals, and this way they want to be able to screen you out and see how dedicated you are before they offer you a job and have to invest time and money hiring and training you. They are a civil service department, so I don't really see it as a promotion, but they want to see what you can do before they make the job offer.

feldy

Forum Captain
Volunteering is not a prerequisite to work there. It is encouraged because essentially it is a way that both they can get a feel if you would be a good candidate for hire or not and if you would like to be an employee there. That being said, they have certainly hired plenty of people who have worked locally and who have worked out of town/out of state w/ out volunteering there.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I see that it is not a prerequisite, however I am not sure I would ever work for a place that did require me to volunteer first. It is an easy way for the employer to backdoor discriminate...while you think you are doing yourself a favor, you may be doing the exact opposite and ensuring you never get hired.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'm also pretty sure civil service rules require the process be open and fair to everyone. In other words. Volunteering does not help or hinder you, officially.

NTXFF

Forum Crew Member
I called their HR today and was told yes on Paramedics but unsure on EMT positions. I submitted my resume, time for a change haha.

OP
OP
MLEW6637

MLEW6637

Forum Probie
I called their HR today and was told yes on Paramedics but unsure on EMT positions. I submitted my resume, time for a change haha.
I agree. I submitted my application and had an interview...but I'm an EMT. Are you a paramedic?