New Medic in Southern California

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
I have looked through the forums and have not found too much information correlating to my question. I am a new paramedic that lives in north SD county. I am looking for work and am willing to travel anywhere. I am looking from Kern County all the way down to Imperial County. Does anyone know anywhere that I can stack up multiple 24 hour shifts or a place that pays *somewhat* decently for medics? (I know that doesn't really happen around here) Liberty up in Kern County works 72 hour shifts but I am trying to cover all my bases. Thank you for any help you can provide.

AMR Redlands, Rancho, and Victorville in San Bernardino County.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
AMR in Ventura has mostly 24s and allows trades to work 72 hours at a time.

OP
OP
S

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
TRSpeed: Does Hall offer 24 hour shifts because it would be a lot for me to commute up for 12s.

socalmedic and Addrobo: Do those AMR divisions have OT over 40 hours and what is baseline pay for the most part for medics?

Thank y'all for your help.

Unlike Riverside, San Bernardino County pays overtime after 8 hours as well as 40 hours. Plenty of double-time shifts available as well. 24s are available and protocols are awesome.

Baseline pay is $15-16 an hour.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Idk why i cant quote.

Hall is 40k/yr. Ot after 8 and dt after 12. the whole county besides the metro area of Bakersfield is 48 HR shifts. Which are XX00XX00XX00000000. 12 HR shift is the metro.

But amr riverside is OT after 40hrs and DT once you hit 13. Starting pay there is 16/hr.

There is tons of OT at both.

In Kern as you may have researched its a whole different system than Socal. Fire is not in charge here and they are BLS. Priority dispatching, excellent rigs and equipment. The rigs are all new Chevy type 3. All rigs get hand waxed every 2 weeks and washed once or twice a day. They got dual train horns, dual whelen, and an eq siren aswell.

Protocols are great pretty much the same as ICEMA which is san bernardino county.

OP
OP
S

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
Thank you guys for all the help. I will be sending out apps to all the AMR divisions in RivCo and SBCo as well as Hall.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For the desert cities division of RivCo AMR starting off as a new medic or EMT you will not be able to get a 24 or 48 hour shifts. Employees that have been with us for 5+ years get those shifts (we use a point system based on months of full time employment). Our 48 hour shift is pretty much owned by medics who have 15+ years with the company (in the past year I think they have had maybe 5 calls total).

OP
OP
S

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
Thank you Addrobo.

DesertEMT: Are those shifts available to pick up as OT either if people call in sick the night before or day of? Or as a trade?

I almost forgot about Desert Ambulance in Barstow, Baker EMS in Baker/Needles, and Morongo Basin Ambulance, 911 in San Bernardino County as well.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thank you Addrobo.

DesertEMT: Are those shifts available to pick up as OT either if people call in sick the night before or day of? Or as a trade?

Yes they are able to be picked up as a new employee and you can also do shift trades. However the employees on those shifts do not call out of take PTO often.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I also heard AMR Desert/Palm Springs is/was hiring medics.

Also, I think it's owned by AMR now, but Blyth Ambulance may be an option.

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
TRSpeed: Does Hall offer 24 hour shifts because it would be a lot for me to commute up for 12s.

socalmedic and Addrobo: Do those AMR divisions have OT over 40 hours and what is baseline pay for the most part for medics?

Thank y'all for your help.

Hall requires you to relocated to or near the Bako area.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I also heard AMR Desert/Palm Springs is/was hiring medics.

Also, I think it's owned by AMR now, but Blyth Ambulance may be an option.

We have been hiring like mad. But we have also added on a couple more ALS and BLS units per day.

And you are correct Blythe ambulance is now owned by AMR but it is still called Blythe ambulance.

OP
OP
S

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
I almost forgot about Desert Ambulance in Barstow, Baker EMS in Baker/Needles, and Morongo Basin Ambulance, 911 in San Bernardino County as well.

I wish either Desert Ambulance or Baker EMS had websites but I will definitely be giving them a call to find out more info.

Jambi: I will look into Blythe Ambulance. I imagine they are a small operation but would be great experience.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll