New Job...Pay?

Jeep92

Forum Ride Along
Hey I checked other treads and couldn't find the answer to my question...the question is...
I recently got a new job for a private ambulance company in MASS I'm just curious to what a brand new EMT can expect for pay?
Also any advice for a new guy I'm on a fire department so I know not to be a dumbass and get my balls busted.
Anything is great thanks for looking folks.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Probably 10/hr

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It depends where in MA you are working... starting pay in Boston is generally around $12-12.50/hr. In central/western MA, it's 10-11

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I recently got a new job for a private ambulance company in MASS I'm just curious to what a brand new EMT can expect for pay?
ummm, why did you accept a job without knowing what they would be paying you?

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
ummm, why did you accept a job without knowing what they would be paying you?

More importantly why didn't they tell you?

That's something they should've covered in the interview whether they intended to hire you or not. That's just professional. Maybe they forgot to mention it, but still.

OP
OP
J

Jeep92

Forum Ride Along
I have to do the drug/lift test today and call them when I'm done so I plan on asking then. I took the job because I currently didn't have anything but seasonal work. Do these jobs come with any type of health insurance I have never worked for a private ambulance and I was just wondering.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have to do the drug/lift test today and call them when I'm done so I plan on asking then. I took the job because I currently didn't have anything but seasonal work. Do these jobs come with any type of health insurance I have never worked for a private ambulance and I was just wondering.

These are all things that should have been covered in the interview. Nonetheless you can certainly call and ask, or wait until orientation.

As for health insurance, a fulltime position will have health insurance as the Massachusetts health care insurance reform law calls for significant penalties on employers with more than 10 employees that fail to offer health insurance.

911fixer

Forum Probie
And usually they send u for the lift test, drug test, and physical before they even interview people because this is one of the ways to weed out the people they dont want. The interview process will start after u pass everything, and thats when u will figure out ur pay and insurance stuff. And if (which i think is the case) u went to quincy medical center for these tests...they r very slow with getting back to anyone with results..atleast w me...but that was a while ago....anyway good luck at the interview.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
That's something they should've covered in the interview whether they intended to hire you or not. That's just professional. Maybe they forgot to mention it, but still.
Actually, I have had quite a few places where the topic of pay wasn't mentioned in the interview. in fact, many hiring experts say not to discuss salary in the interview, as it can be considered a negative during employment considerations. This is when they are interviewing 20 people for 10 or so positions. They interview everyone, and then offer the jobs to those they like the best.

But I would not EVER accept a position without knowing how much they were going to pay me. That is, unless I didn't care what they were going to pay me and just wanted a job (a position I haven't been in in over 10 years).

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
No offense to the OP, but this is exactly why wages in EMS are so low. There are too many people willing to do this job just to build a resume. They are largely unconcerned with how much pay they are getting, so long as they are showing a work history. To be fair, I was guilty of the same thing when I first started in EMS.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Actually, I have had quite a few places where the topic of pay wasn't mentioned in the interview. in fact, many hiring experts say not to discuss salary in the interview, as it can be considered a negative during employment considerations. This is when they are interviewing 20 people for 10 or so positions. They interview everyone, and then offer the jobs to those they like the best.

But I would not EVER accept a position without knowing how much they were going to pay me. That is, unless I didn't care what they were going to pay me and just wanted a job (a position I haven't been in in over 10 years).

When the application asks for desired salary I always say "negotiable." if I am asked during the interview, I simply ask how do you determine compensation? Otherwise I'll ask how they determine compensation upon receipt of the job offer.

sjdr1976

Forum Ride Along
No offense to the OP, but this is exactly why wages in EMS are so low. There are too many people willing to do this job just to build a resume. They are largely unconcerned with how much pay they are getting, so long as they are showing a work history. To be fair, I was guilty of the same thing when I first started in EMS.

very true!