New Hire Training

Gilbert

Forum Ride Along
My company is growing faster and faster. We are a private company who functions ALS each truck with an EMT and a Paramedic. I am currently buffering our new hire orientation program. Looking for ideas maybe unique steps to take to ready our new hires. Also fresh ideas for our FTO's (feild training officers) Techniques of teaching the ways or lesson plans to get new hires on their own.
Thanks!

Everett

Forum Crew Member
Well you've probablly already thought of this but how about make them find specific items on the truck. It usually helps if its items you don't use frequnetly; moreover, then tell them to tell you about it. Kinda like an eval of their knowledge and skills. Plus if they fail then they know they need to study up on their skills in that particular area or item.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
"New Hire Training" is a very broad description... i'll just throw out some mini-courses or discussions you should consider including:

-- Service policies (Uniform, shift orientation, chain of command, location of garages, radio/dispatch policies)
-- HR Matters (new hire paperwork, tax and citizenship documentation, direct deposit, benefits information, etc)
-- Paperwork (ePCR, truck checkouts, incident reports, unprotected exposure, abuse reports, etc)
-- BBP/Infection Control
-- Equipment orientation (videos for the stretcher, stair chair, monitor, med pump, vent)
-- Facility orientation (contracted hospitals, SNFs, trauma centers, burn centers, etc)

OP
OP
G

Gilbert

Forum Ride Along
It is broad, but I am finding that some companies just throw em to the dogs, We have a great process with HR and introduction to the company. A huge
Problem area is communication between FTO's and the lead supervisor who ultimatley deems New hire competant.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
"New Hire Training" is a very broad description... i'll just throw out some mini-courses or discussions you should consider including:

-- Service policies (Uniform, shift orientation, chain of command, location of garages, radio/dispatch policies)
-- HR Matters (new hire paperwork, tax and citizenship documentation, direct deposit, benefits information, etc)
-- Paperwork (ePCR, truck checkouts, incident reports, unprotected exposure, abuse reports, etc)
-- BBP/Infection Control
-- Equipment orientation (videos for the stretcher, stair chair, monitor, med pump, vent)
-- Facility orientation (contracted hospitals, SNFs, trauma centers, burn centers, etc)

That's a darn good list. I'd add;

EVOC

We use a three-stage checkoff on three forms. Mandatory training items for that week are checked off by the FTO (a recruit gets ONE FTO during each week of New Hire unless something abnormal happens causing a change). At the end of the week, the FTO submits their form and comments (at the bottom of the form) to the lead supervisor.

Stage 1; New Hire paperwork, Skills check offs (dependant on provider level), Safety Training
Stage 2; Equipment check off (simulated testing), Documentation, Facility and Map Orientation
Stage 3; Final Field performance (shift w/lead supervisor), EVOC, Final Protocol exam.

This allows the lead supervisor to make his decision based off three viewpoints (the FTO comments), his own viewpoint, and an objective evaluation.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Our new employees come off probation when the FTO talks to the Operations Director. Operations has the final world on this, so if someone has been screwing up paperwork or checkouts that the FTO may not be aware of, this can be re-mediated before they stop being a third.

If you come with no ambulance experience, you spend a minimum of two months only attending. I'm not sure if this is more or less effective then learning both roles at the same time, but it does allow a newbie (like me) to get a very good grasp on the patient care and facility interactions before having to worry about driving.