New here :) Question/Concern- CA criminal background check

stats

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone. Just posting to introduce myself. This seems like a very helpful and active website. I'm an emt student in CA. Sacramento area to be exact.

I need advice. I've tried searching this website and google, but came out empty. Long story cut short, i was arrested last year and now being charged with Grand Theft by embezzlement. My attorney is in the process of talking with the DA about possibly dropping my charges down to a misdemeanor from a felony if i pay back whatever i took.

So my question is..... IF i do receive the misdemeanor, will it disqualify me of being an emt in the state of CA? Any advice would help.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't know if it will disqualify you (maybe some of our CA residents can answer that), but it will affect your ability to get a job as an EMT.

OP
OP
S

stats

Forum Ride Along
i guess thats the real question i'm asking. Can i still get a job as an EMT with that background? Thanks for clearing that up

Kale

Forum Probie
Sorry to say but generally speaking the economic climate right now is such that even experienced EMTs without so much as a speeding ticket on their records are having a hard time finding work. Since your offense was not a moving violation you may still be insurable, but if potential employers view you as a liability you're going to have a hell of a time getting hired, especially when there are literally hundreds of comparably qualified people with squeaky clean records lined up right behind you.

Perhaps some folks have direct experience with this, but my best guess would be to focus on getting your charge knocked down to a misdemeanor (and you're still just charged, right? Not convicted?), see where you end up landing in the legal process and if you do get an interview with an ambo company, be upfront and honest and take responsibility. Do you know anyone who knows someone in the EMS world? That may be your best bet. Talk to your instructors in your EMT class about your issue, maybe they can offer advice or refer you to someone who might be able to help you out.

OP
OP
S

stats

Forum Ride Along
Im still just charged. Not convicted yet. I'm pretty optimistic about getting it dropped to a misdemeanor. I'm hoping i can do some internships/externships when i get certified and/or licensed to stack up experience and hopefully that will overcome my background.

JPINFV

Gadfly
What's the misdemeanor that they're looking to drop it down to?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
If you do get it dropped to a misdemeanor then get it expunged as quickly as possible. Once it's expunged you can legally answer "no" when it asks if you've ever been convicted of a misdemeanor. (Of course, you ask a lawyer about this.)

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
A misdemeanor won't auto disqualify you but you will have to explain the charge. If you plead guilty to a crime of that nature you may be rejected on a case by case basis. Definitely find out by calling the LEMSA before spending any more money or time on training.

xshellyx

Forum Probie
You have to do a Livescan (fingerprinting for DOJ and FBI) to be certified in CA and get an official EMT license. They have strict rules on denial. Heres the circumstances directly from a california county ems website:

Convictions that will cause certification to be denied include:

• Absolute (forever) denial to persons convicted of
a sex crime requiring the person to register as a sex offender, or
murder, murder for hire, attempted murder, or
2 or more felonies (ever)
• Denial for at least 15 years following a conviction of
manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter
• Denial for at least 10 years following a conviction of
any felony not mentioned above, or
a misdemeanor conviction that was plea-bargained down from a felony charge
(felony arraignment) within the last 10 years

• Denial for 5 years following a conviction on
2 or more misdemeanors relating to drugs (including paraphernalia, use, under the
influence, transport, sale, possession) or
2 or more misdemeanors relating to force, violence, threat, or intimidation, or
any singular theft of any kind (including petty theft and shoplifting)
• Denial for up to 7 years following a conviction related to
fraud,
intentional dishonesty for personal gain (including passing bad checks, using phony
credit cards, forgery, embezzlement)

• Currently on parole or probation for a felony
• Commission of a crime requiring registration pursuant to 11590 of the Health & Safety
Code (certain drug offenses)

Doesnt look good for you :/ but goodluck!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You have to do a Livescan (fingerprinting for DOJ and FBI) to be certified in CA and get an official EMT license. They have strict rules on denial. Heres the circumstances directly from a california county ems website:

Convictions that will cause certification to be denied include:

• Absolute (forever) denial to persons convicted of
a sex crime requiring the person to register as a sex offender, or
murder, murder for hire, attempted murder, or
2 or more felonies (ever)
• Denial for at least 15 years following a conviction of
manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter
• Denial for at least 10 years following a conviction of
any felony not mentioned above, or
a misdemeanor conviction that was plea-bargained down from a felony charge
(felony arraignment) within the last 10 years

• Denial for 5 years following a conviction on
2 or more misdemeanors relating to drugs (including paraphernalia, use, under the
influence, transport, sale, possession) or
2 or more misdemeanors relating to force, violence, threat, or intimidation, or
any singular theft of any kind (including petty theft and shoplifting)
• Denial for up to 7 years following a conviction related to
fraud,
intentional dishonesty for personal gain (including passing bad checks, using phony
credit cards, forgery, embezzlement)

• Currently on parole or probation for a felony
• Commission of a crime requiring registration pursuant to 11590 of the Health & Safety
Code (certain drug offenses)

Doesnt look good for you :/ but goodluck!
Excellent info. Do you have a direct link to the source so that other members in the future can use it?

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
i guess thats the real question i'm asking. Can i still get a job as an EMT with that background? Thanks for clearing that up

Yes, as long as you are still certifiable through the DHS. Finding a job in EMS with a background will be like finding any other job with a background, most will discriminate against you and some will give you a chance. Good luck