New EMT supply question

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
I'm a new EMT on the scene & I'm actually starting w/a volunteer agency in mid-October & I was just curious as to what supplies I might need. I know boots I need & my stethoscope I already have. But other than those 2 items, I'm not too sure if I would need anything. I was told that the supplies we need will be provided to us but I was just wondering if there were any side supplies I should get on my own. I know w/a volunteer company, the supplies may or may not be that great so getting side supplies might be a good idea. Any suggestions? Thanks all!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Simusid

Forum Captain
I bought:

1) Trauma shears
2) Pen light for checking pupils
3) Scope and cuff so I could practice on my own time
4) A watch because I didn't own one
5) A good small flashlight (Fenix) because the side of the dark highway swallows up the light from cheap LED lights
6) A small glove pouch for my belt

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you have boots, your ears, a pen, and a watch you should be fine. Just wait and see what they issue you.

mct601

RN/NRP
If you have boots, your ears, a pen, and a watch you should be fine. Just wait and see what they issue you.

This. You definitely want a watch and pen- just about everything else you'll need can be found on the truck somewhere depending on the company.

HOWEVER

I do not like the stethoscopes on the truck, and my standby job with AMR had me on my feet roaming a lot. So I went ahead and bought my own. Also, I now carry my own set of shears. I don't NEED to, but they have come in useful a few times, so their purchase is justified. I have not and probably will not buy a pen light unless I see that I need it down the road. I should carry a flashlight, but I don't.

You also want to see how your partners work. That will have a lot of bearing on what you need to bring to work outside of a pen and watch.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Make sure you stock up on GUM. Those 3am calls, and breath like a.... well you know what I mean. I always carry a bottle of water, a snack for those long trips (I am Diabetic), shades, at least 5.00, and a hair band (for those long hair clients you get), Oh and don't forget chapstick. But, the best thing to make sure you have on all calls is your "Smile". (those are free). Make sure to bring a sense of humor, alot of caring and compassion, bring your knowledge, and honesty. You will do fine, and you will learn along the way what works best for you. Good Luck with your job. Have fun and be safe!!

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain

I kind of agree with this, but my own list is closer to Simusid's.

• I have a scope+cuff, but most of the volunteers I know don't have their own - then again, most of them wish they could do fire only and loathe riding the whaaambulance. The ambos all have at least 2-3 Spragues on board, but I prefer to know where my ears have been. (I don't carry the cuff while working, it stays at home for practice/family use)
  • Shears I would definitely get because they're cheap and that way, you know what you're dealing with (when they've been used, cleaned, sharpened, etc).
  • There are usually pen-lights all over the unit, but they're all the cheap white disposable ones, half of which are dead at any given time.
  • My glove pouch cost maybe $3, is tiny, holds 5 gloves, and is well worth it IMO, when you find yourself running through 3 pairs of gloves on one call. I always grab a pair out of the ambo at the beginning of a call - these are extra in case I burn through those or somehow forget.
  • I can understand the argument for a good personal flashlight, but I hate carrying more than I need to, and the torches on the rig are one thing I know are in good working order. So no flashlight for me.

Total bill:
$25 for cuff (in your choice of dashing colors)
$3 for glove pouch
$7 for shears
$4 for pen light if you want a re-usable

$39 should leave you plenty of cash left over for that Jumbo-D cylinder and C-collar for your car ;)

Boots: You may or may not be required to have a safety-toe. Personally, I don't f*** around when it comes to my feet. I wear these http://www.thefirestore.com/catalog..._Side_Zip_Boots_wSafety_Toe_Black-2084-10348/

OP
OP
G

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Now that I think of it, I do have a BP Cuff as well & pen lights, I have about 20 of them from my EMT class, hehehe. My stethoscope, don't recall the brand but even my instructor said it was a pretty good one for it being free. It's a dual head stetho.

I heard alot of people mention a glove pouch so I'll definitely look into it & those boots that I saw from the link were really impressive but I need to check any type of clothing in person. Hate buying stuff online & then it not being what I want when I receive it. But those do look impressive though.

I also was told about the oxygen key that I would definitely need. I saw some on EBAY that they were something like a 5 in all or something like that. Don't recall exactly but they were pretty cool & looked like what I might need as well.

18G

Paramedic
Honestly, you won't need much in terms of supplies... pretty much just a watch and stethoscope. Most volly companies have just as nice if not nicer equipment then paid services.

OP
OP
G

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
And a watch!
Another supply I have, hehe. Keep remembering what I have as soon as another member mentions it, lol.

Ok cool. Can't wait to start already. Thanks again everyone!

OP
OP
G

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
Ok well I went to the new member training yesterday morning.

This is pretty much what they told us that we need to purchase on our own:

1. Stethoscope (already have the Sprague Type one)
2. Oxygen Key (just bought on ebay. about $6 bucks)
3. Pen Light (need to purchase)
4. Shears (bought on Ebay for like $2 bucks)

Still need to purchase boots this week & also the EMT shirts. From what they said, the people that they get the uniforms from cost about $40 or so. But they weren't too sure. I have 2 BDU pants already so I'm good w/that.

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
Here are a few of the items that I carry with me every day.

1. Pen and small tablet.
2. Shears
3. Small flashlight.
4. Gloves in my cargo pants pocket.
5. Leatherman tool.
6. Ammonia amps in a small container.

I carry several other items as a paramedic that you would not need.

Good luck with the new job.

princessretard

Forum Probie
you're right buddy. they give you all the equipment you need in an ambulance. you got your stethescope? great! now just get a watch, preferably an analog watch, to take pulse. you're all set.

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
what i carry:
1. Gerber fire rescue tool, it has an 02 tank tool and a seat belt cutter. like $60 on amazon.com
2. simple maglight mini with pouch
3. glove pouch
4. trama shears with pouch
5. plenty of cheap pens, mine always "disapears":ph34r:
6. a clip board
7. stethoscope and bp cuffs
8. a watch
9. hair ties, always get made fun for that even though i have short hair
10. sunglasses
11. Ipod touch with tons of EMS aps: pocket protocals, medication look up, glascoma scale, apgar scale and some other stuff. This is in a pouch too:)

It seems like a lot of things but once its all on me it looks like nothing cause everything has its place. Im one of those people that never likes being in a situation with out my tools.

If any of you are looking for a nice knife i would go with the GERBER fire and rescue tool, its awesome and Ive used it on a couple of calls and around the station.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
along with what the others have been saying.. analog watch, scope, mini mag if you need a small flashlight. another great rescue knife is the SPYDERCO RESCUE 93 MM with blunt tip and full serration

not to hijack the thread.. but i have a ride along for an ambulance company coming up.. and i purchased a pair of emt pants.. they said black pants and black shirt to fit the MO..is this looked upon as "toolish" since I'm just there for a ride along and not hired by them?