new cali person

muchlove

Forum Ride Along
I established my emt cert and NREMT card in northern california. I have not takin the ambulance DMV written test which I hear is often expected upon application of employment. I am about to move down to La mesa,CA. Im under the impression I Will need an ambulance certificate and the county EMS card among others these two I feel Will be most time consuming. I could use advice on where to start with livescans, questions I should watch out for on the DMV amb written test, companies that have a great rep and others that do not so I may have a better connection with my employer. I could go on... Thank you for reading and hope that those in the San Diego area might have some valuableintel. Again thank you and be safe!

Sincerly,
Muchlove

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know about companies or services in that area, but I would definitely work on getting your county accreditation soon. In California, as an EMT-Basic, you will be required to obtain certification in the county in which you work. They typically require some form of written protocol exam and a background check.

Your ADC (Ambulance Drivers Certificate) is pretty easy to obtain. You need to stop by your local DMV and pickup a study guide, then make an appointment to take the exam. Be aware that they may also have you take a portion of the written class-c drivers license exam, so brush up on the technical stuff in the drivers handbook.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Most Cali counties are now on a state card meaning there is no county accreditation (there are a couple of counties that have you get an "expanded scope" eg LA and OC county).

I still haven't heard of a county in Cali that has EMTs test for the state card (medic is different).

For the ADC you have to get a lifescan (background check) and have to get a medical clearence form that has to be completed by a doctor (a couple other people can sign it off). It's called a DL51 and a DL51A (medical green card).

MarkusEMS

Forum Crew Member
Most Cali counties are now on a state card meaning there is no county accreditation (there are a couple of counties that have you get an "expanded scope" eg LA and OC county).

I still haven't heard of a county in Cali that has EMTs test for the state card (medic is different).

For the ADC you have to get a lifescan (background check) and have to get a medical clearence form that has to be completed by a doctor (a couple other people can sign it off). It's called a DL51 and a DL51A (medical green card).

I got my EMT-B license up here in NorCal 2 months ago and it's like others said a California EMT-B license, see no affiliation with the county I applied in. Guess because of the fact that the license is valid state wide there's no "individual" certifications in that matter.

As far as the ADC goes, I just recently got started on that and have to go back to the DMV as they want to have the receipt that you at least got started on the lifescan before they will proceed - and yes, if you have a good primary care physician, ask their office to do the check up for you and sign it off, I did find some places that specialize on that kind of stuff but bad yelp reviews like - 1 star made me ask my go-to doctor and sure enough she was able to assist me with that, though supposedly not covered by my insurance.... good luck with the rest of your journey on becoming a "complete" EMT
-Markus