New AHA protocol?

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone!

Does anyone know when the new CPR protocol comes out?
And if it has, what is the new protocol for EMS CPR?

OP
OP
Ped101

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
Oh I thought it was due to come out this year, since the last one came in 2008....

No ventilation huh? Mmmm....

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
October 18, 2010. The last major protocol changes came out in October 2005, and were incorporated into curricula in the first half of 2006. The changes in protocol are developed by ILCOR, the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation... and adopted by AHA, ARC, ERC, etc.

OP
OP
Ped101

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Dan!

Though are you sure the last change was in 2006? I remember my friend (who got into the EMS in 2007) had to take CPR lessons with me because their protocol had some differences to the new one

But I'll be on the watch for the new one!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I thought that was for lay rescuers. Since something is better than nothing.

There are indications (based on recent studies and common sense) that breaths as we know it will be removed from BLS protocols, perhaps to be replaced by an OPA and NRB, and moving away from immediate ET intubation in ALS.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There are fairly often small changes to individual course offerings (in the US between AHA and ARC), correcting small mistakes, or or in certain geographic areas as part of a study... but for HCP BLS there havent been basic science changes to protocol since 2005, but it may have taken some time for the changes to filter down to all providers through classes... Get ready to compress a lot!

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
There are indications (based on recent studies and common sense) that breaths as we know it will be removed from BLS protocols, perhaps to be replaced by an OPA and NRB, and moving away from immediate ET intubation in ALS.

Im not sure they re ready to remove ventilations for health care provider CPR just yet, I can see them going to 50:2.

And I agree the future is set for passive ventilation. I dont know when but its coming.

clibb

Forum Captain
I thought that was for lay rescuers. Since something is better than nothing.

In EMT school they showed us some research that the Chinese did. The research concluded that a person has a better chance of surviving if your compressions to ventilation rate is 2000:1. So, ventilations pretty much doesn't do anything.
I'm going to email my instructor for that research paper or link where he read that.

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
In EMT school they showed us some research that the Chinese did. The research concluded that a person has a better chance of surviving if your compressions to ventilation rate is 2000:1. So, ventilations pretty much doesn't do anything.
I'm going to email my instructor for that research paper or link where he read that.

2001 to 1!!!???? That's insane!! Lol

clibb

Forum Captain
2001 to 1!!!???? That's insane!! Lol

From what I remember:

The Chinese did a research on dead pigs since they have a very similar Cardiovascular system as we do. They would put the pigs in cardiac arrest and do CPR. When they tried 2000:1 compression and ventilation, they got the best results.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Meh, rather pointless ratio if you actually think about it.

That'd be 2000 compressions in 10 minutes if they follow the 100/min idea (when do they change the compressor? Doubt China uses the Lucas....)

So, after 10 min they give a single breath. So, in 20 min (most CPRs don't go much beyond that if at all) they give 2 breaths.

Kind of just proves breathless /passive oxygenation CPR and not that silly ration.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief

That'd be 2000 compressions in 10 minutes if they follow the 100/min idea (when do they change the compressor? Doubt China uses the Lucas....)

So, after 10 min they give a single breath. So, in 20 min (most CPRs don't go much beyond that if at all) they give 2 breaths.

Kind of just proves breathless /passive oxygenation CPR and not that silly ration.

I also think the study/ results sound a little odd. I've had EMS instructors tell me lots of odd things. I tried to find this study and only found a handful of studies by the ILCOR done in 2001; nothing mentioning this 2000:1 compression ventilation ratio.

I too would like to see the study if the OP can locate it.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
we had some Japanese (i know they are different than china, but same region of the world) medic students come through our class in medic school for a day and we got to talk to them about treatment. they are 200:1 no intubation, and they just got approval to use epi and dextrose in the field. i am going to say that your research paper may be off a bit.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
You also have to look at the effectivness of the compressions when you reach those numbers. Fatigue plays a major role if you dont have the manpower available to provide effective compressions.

clibb

Forum Captain

Knowing how far ahead they are in technology; no they probably don't use it.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
You also have to look at the effectivness of the compressions when you reach those numbers. Fatigue plays a major role if you dont have the manpower available to provide effective compressions.

Yeah, but China practices slave labor still.....