Never forget, or mix up heart blocks again

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys,

Wanted to share this video with you all. I think it's great for students, and providers who may still struggle with differentiating blocks.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvGblW1rKA[/YOUTUBE]

OP
OP
B

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
I like this one too. Doesn't teach anything but I still like it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBw4Q3VvJsQ&list=PLC3193E16FD025C11[/YOUTUBE]

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have despised the term heart blocks for that is NOT what they are. Many of us older ones were able to attend Marriot's ECG courses. He also hated using the term as it usually confused many and preferred labeling them as AV disassociation as they are. Again, many assume third degree as being the worse... (usually associated with burns) when Second degree type II has the most unstable and high degree of going into an unstable pattern or v-fib.

He had a saying of the foot steps... like a child. Wekenbach ... longer and longer and then fall

OP
OP
B

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
I have despised the term heart blocks for that is NOT what they are. Many of us older ones were able to attend Marriot's ECG courses. He also hated using the term as it usually confused many and preferred labeling them as AV disassociation as they are. Again, many assume third degree as being the worse... (usually associated with burns) when Second degree type II has the most unstable and high degree of going into an unstable pattern or v-fib.

He had a saying of the foot steps... like a child. Wekenbach ... longer and longer and then fall

What's wrong with the term 'heart block'? It's a pretty common, universally accepted term.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What's wrong with the term 'heart block'? It's a pretty common, universally accepted term.

Because it's not actually a block. It's more of a delay in the AV Node/Junction (until you get to the 3rd degree).

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Does anyone EMD? Electromechanical Dissociation. Now it's PEA. Pulseless Electrical Activity.

coolidge

Forum Crew Member
Hi
Sorry, can you provide the web site with the other educational videos or information, I couldn't understand the location from the audio. Thanks

TomB

Forum Captain
The only one that isn't truly a block is 1st degree AV block which is why some cardiologists refer to it simply as PR prolongation. I personally use the term AV dissociation only when the ventricular rate is higher than the atrial rate.