Need Help: Middle School EMS Club

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm in dire need of fun activities for a middle school EMS club. I know I posted this before, but I'm looking for actual activity ideas. The more hands-on the better :)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Teaching younger children about safety.. and simple first aid.

Bicycle safety

helmets

water and pool safety

what to do in X emergency..

etc.

study the history of EMS

although, that would be hard to study, since there is no single book on the matter.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Repost? :blink:

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Call the closest Fire, EMS, and Police station. Ask to talk to someone about scheduling a tour for middle school kids in a First Aid club. They'll connect you to the right person who will schedule it.

Have a day where you go over basic stuff like:

WHAT QUALIFIES AS AN EMERGENCY, WHEN TO CALL 911, HOW TO KEEP SAFE (like at a car accident scene)
HEIMLICH MANUEVER
BLEEDING
Ask them what else they want to learn about

Next time do:

SPRAINED ANKLES (keeping show tightened, ice at first, etc)
SNAKE/SPIDER BITES (While not much to do here, there is a coolness factor talking about animal bites)
IMPORTANCE OF IMMOBILIZATION UNTIL 911 ARRIVES (give examples, car accidents, someone falls off a ladder,

Next time:
TOUR OF FIRE DEPT
(take pictures, so they can share and other kids will want to join)

Next time:
One of the topics they said they wanted to learn about
RESCUE BREATHING

Next time:
RESCURE BREATHING cont.
CPR

Next time:
CPR cont.

Next time:
Police Dept. Tour

A helpful book with concise information could be one of those Boy Scouts First Aid books that they use to study for their merit badges. It'll give you an ideas on topics and how to simply treatments when teaching kids.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
I say have a medic or FF come down and have an open Q&A session. He start out by discussing some of the specifics of his job and explain the differences between BLS and ALS. Have the students come up with a list of questions for the session. (About 5 questions per student.) Have your medic or FF tell the kids that prank calls to 911 are not funny and they can be charged in court for it. Also let the kids know that pranks causing other people to call 911 are also not funny because it takes EMS and Fire away from what might be someone elses REAL emergency.

Talk to them about scanners, 10-codes, triaging and stuff like that. Keep in mind that while there is potential to dumb it down to a kindergarten level (I think by middle school most kids know stop-drop-roll), keep it interesting. Ask them if theyve seen ladder 49 as thats the most recent EMS-related movie theyve seen.

Good luck!

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Dec 6 2005, 08:15 PM
Repost? :blink:
Oops. You're right. Its been a long day :)

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Just remember that middle school kids, while still kids, aren't babies.

Start to teach them things along the lines of boyscouts... Little things that you can't really screw up. Let them learn about basic vitals, and see who is actually interested in pursuing the career.

Interest= Acheivement.

I promise.

VinBin

Forum Captain
Yea, I agree that kids in middle school are capable of understanding quite a bit...

But I dont think this really is relevant towards whether they are "interested" in pursuing a career in EMS...Hell, they probably change what they want to be when they grow up every day.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
VinBin said:
...Hell, they probably change what they want to be when they grow up every day.
Heck I still do it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Chimpie said:
Heck I still do it.

Umm, never mind. I'll PM you with what I was going to say.:embaressed_smile:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
:stormy: :stormy:
OH MY GOD.

I am... Speechless. The last three posts, I can't think of anything funny to say. I was going to share my story.. but then it didn't sound funny anymore.

This is terrible.. I'm ruined! :thinking: :sick:

I've drawn a big metaphorical blank in my head.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:
:stormy:
OH MY GOD.

I am... Speechless. The last three posts, I can't think of anything funny to say. I was going to share my story.. but then it didn't sound funny anymore.

This is terrible.. I'm ruined! :thinking: :sick:

I've drawn a big metaphorical blank in my head.
Quick, what's the number to 9-1-1 ; )

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
ffemt8978 said:
Quick, what's the number to 9-1-1 ; )

:thinking: I don't know, but it's not 911.. I think it's 724-3491... I figure it's okay to put that down, b/c who is going to prank call the Sheriff? According to the little card I get from the phone company every year, I should call that number for any Emergency. Or I can call the hospital to get an Ambulance. Gee whiz, I should have kept an ambulance.. May need it. Could have my own little MJ&S operation here. :p

My phone prefix will not have 9-1-1 until March 2006 due to a change in location of the Emergency Services routing system.

I feel like I live in Mayberry, RFD.. And I'm wondering WTF I've been paying $9.00 a month in 911 Fees for, if we don't even have the option of dialing it.

I suppose they'll speed up the process when someone dies, or gets sued.

VinBin

Forum Captain
Can someone (especially TTLWHKR, who seems to be having a heart attack) tell me what in the world just happened?

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
You know, his heart must be ready to give out. He has more MI's than anybody...I think I have given him 3 or 4 myself.

Although, nobody really did dispute it when I commented about All Ambulances are the same ; )

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
EMTPrincess said:
You know, his heart must be ready to give out. He has more MI's than anybody...I think I have given him 3 or 4 myself.

Although, nobody really did dispute it when I commented about All Ambulances are the same ; )

ParaRush.gif

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
I hope I still have a fake smile when they make me a cartoon!