Need feedback from Medics

Vinceh

Forum Crew Member
Starting my EMT-B program next week. (Very excited) However, do you reccomend that I go directly in to the Paramedics course following the class? If so is it possible to work Part-time and effectively study for my classes taken? or.....Should I work as an EMT-B for a few months to a year and then get into the Paramedics program? Maybe take the A&P class as I work part-time? Any information would greatly be appreciated.

I would think it would be beneficial to go straight into the program while things are fresh.

Vince:wacko:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You'll find varying ideas on this, some people stating go straight in, some saying work, and some saying get an education before you go in.

It is smarter to get A&P, biology, medical terminology, and other health related classes done before you attempt paramedic as it will make it so much easier.

My view? Do what is best for you. If you think you need 6months -1 year of EMT experience before you attempt it, so be it. I didn't and I did just fine, but you need to do what makes you feel more comfortable.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Don't waste time waiting doing nothing as an emt. Get your education. Take the classes like linuss mentioned if not included in your Paramedic degree program.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
A&P I and II with lab
Chemistry
Pharmacology
Scientific research methods
English
Communications
Medical terminology

Epi-do

I see dead people
Check with the schools you are considering for medic class. If they require you to work for X amount of time, then you will have your answer about whether to go straight to medic class, or to work for a little bit first. Not all schools have a required amount of time working as a basic, but a lot of them do.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
go straight to medic school, do not pass go, do not collect $200

Yes you should take other classes.

Psych classes are important. psychology, developmental psych and abnormal psych are offered at most C.C's. We deal with psych emergencies and addictions. Medic class does not address this too well.

Criminal justice classes are always good. Police, Correctional and Homeland security classes are offered at many places. Since we work with police, respond to prison and work at crime scenes, alot of material will help out.

Any legal writing classes as we write legal documents. Such classes might be offered under criminal justice.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
As above + microbiology and any common foreign languages spoken in your area.

OP
OP
Vinceh

Vinceh

Forum Crew Member
OVERLOAD!!!! Wow,thanks for all the feedback! looks like I will be in school for the next 18 - 24 months. Love it! Can someone say financial aid.

Vince

medic417

The Truth Provider

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Any legal writing classes as we write legal documents. Such classes might be offered under criminal justice.

I'd say stick with some CE classes on report writing and documentation, personally. Legal writing is its own little world. Realistically speaking, run sheets and PCRs are "legal" only in the sense that they are the official record of the care provided.

The others are pretty spot-on, though. Any class you take is probably good for something. The more you know, the more things you have in your "toolbox" to work with.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Since no one else is saying it; there are many threads here that talk about the school or experience first debate. Many, like myself, see great value in getting a year as an EMT under your belt first. Consider all sides.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
You can also do what I did and work through paramedic school. Many of your classmates will be doing it as well and you will find that it's pretty helpful to learn about something new, then see it at work. Just remember you're still an EMT ;)

OP
OP
Vinceh

Vinceh

Forum Crew Member
I think that is what I would like to do. My only concern is the amount of studying as opposed to the amount of work. Would reccomend a certain amount of days say..2,3 only? I want to make sure that I do this the most efficient, yet beneficial way so that I retain as much as possible during class.

Thanks for your feedback-

Vince

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You study as much as you feel you need to. You know you and how you learn. I am an auditory listener... once something is explained to me I got it, and I hardly look at my book. I didn't touch my book from my final in Janurary till my registry last week and I did fine. Some people need to re-read a chapter once. And still others have to study every day to get something.

Do what works for you.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Starting my EMT-B program next week. (Very excited) However, do you reccomend that I go directly in to the Paramedics course following the class? If so is it possible to work Part-time and effectively study for my classes taken? or.....Should I work as an EMT-B for a few months to a year and then get into the Paramedics program? Maybe take the A&P class as I work part-time? Any information would greatly be appreciated.

I would think it would be beneficial to go straight into the program while things are fresh.

Vince:wacko:

My vote says work at least a little as you go or, take a short while and work, get a decent A/P and a perhaps pharm class under your belt first. As an I/C, this seems to be a successful way to go. Those with a little experience in patient care do better in course work.