My New Tattoo - EMS

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
The way i see it, some jobs are more than a job. EMS is that way. I mean maybe some people seperate it like any other job but I honestly view it as more of a life style. I wouldnt get one if I wasnt yet in the career or if I hadnt been around it long. Make sure your cut out for it first but for me Its a passion. I love my job. I think the tat is a way to kind of outwardly express your self. My house has police and ems stuff in two rooms. If/when I get an EMS tat it will also have the name of the child who I did CPR on and lost prior to going to EMT school. Why? Because he didnt die in vein. He showed me that I needed some more training. Since then I've had a code save out of the exact same situation. The only thing that is stopping me...besides my fear of needles...is that I really just dont want to listen to my parents whine about it for the next 20 yrs.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Yep, here it is.

100_0705.jpg

emtkelley

Forum Crew Member
Hey I like that, TCERT! I am always interested in tats, their meaning, whatever, behind them. I like the colors and the design too as well as the OP's. My husband's is on my myspace page. His is the arm with the grim reaper on it. Matty from Torrid did it and it turned out nice. You can veiw some of Matty's work if you click on Torrid's icon on my friend space. He is amazing.
WARNING:turn your speakers down or his music will make your ears bleed.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
wow thats cool!! I like it!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay... I'm still chuckling over the idea of paying the kind of money tattoo parlors want for their product to get something permanent attached to my body that 'looks good in a bar' Seriously.. that's truly funny!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I wonder if someone seen your tattoo.... "Paramedics snatching life from death" .... could sue for false advertising on codes that were not successful. ....lol :)

Dermagraphics/tattoo's etc.. are fine as long as they are not exposed on duty. What people want and have off duty is their business, on duty is another thing. Yes, I even went out of state to get a tattoo (we just legalized them 2 months ago, we were the last state) but decided not to, I had been accepted into med school, and most do not want such to be visible or displayed. So yes, if one wants art or an ink blot, so be it. I really have no problem with that.
What I do find funny, is the apparent naivete's of the sayings or hero complex statements, that many are placing on their body. I know to many it is a personal joke, but the public and others may not see it that way...( i.e. snatching life from the grim ripper).. C'mon, let's get real.. We never really win over death, and really never prevent it as well. On good days..we only postpone death temporary and if we do successfully treat anyone, it was because it was not their time yet. In some cases, death would be a blessing of relief of pain and suffering. I even read of a medic placing the initials of people they saved.... that is kinda pompass, isn't it? How about the ones they did not save? One can kinda run out of room, huh? ... since our save rate is < 10%. there is really nothing to brag about it, is there?

This is a job and just so happens our job is stabilize and treat life threatening injuries long enough to get them to the hospital.. that's about it. We do not .."cheat death"... "Save Paramedics" ...."deal with the Angel of Death".. "Don't Fear the Reaper"..or any of that other self gloating titles. Yes, I have a sense of humor.. but I do not care for over dramatization, when it appears some take it seriously.

R/r 911

RescueShirts.com

Forum Crew Member
I wonder if someone seen your tattoo.... "Paramedics snatching life from death" .... could sue for false advertising on codes that were not successful. ....lol :)

Dermagraphics/tattoo's etc.. are fine as long as they are not exposed on duty. What people want and have off duty is their business, on duty is another thing. Yes, I even went out of state to get a tattoo (we just legalized them 2 months ago, we were the last state) but decided not to, I had been accepted into med school, and most do not want such to be visible or displayed. So yes, if one wants art or an ink blot, so be it. I really have no problem with that.
What I do find funny, is the apparent naivete's of the sayings or hero complex statements, that many are placing on their body. I know to many it is a personal joke, but the public and others may not see it that way...( i.e. snatching life from the grim ripper).. C'mon, let's get real.. We never really win over death, and really never prevent it as well. On good days..we only postpone death temporary and if we do successfully treat anyone, it was because it was not their time yet. In some cases, death would be a blessing of relief of pain and suffering. I even read of a medic placing the initials of people they saved.... that is kinda pompass, isn't it? How about the ones they did not save? One can kinda run out of room, huh? ... since our save rate is < 10%. there is really nothing to brag about it, is there?

This is a job and just so happens our job is stabilize and treat life threatening injuries long enough to get them to the hospital.. that's about it. We do not .."cheat death"... "Save Paramedics" ...."deal with the Angel of Death".. "Don't Fear the Reaper"..or any of that other self gloating titles. Yes, I have a sense of humor.. but I do not care for over dramatization, when it appears some take it seriously.

R/r 911

Well... Then... Would this one be acceptable?

Real-Life-EMS-Lose-Some.GIF

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Rid...

How about "EMS, sometimes we get lucky and you live" on a banner wrapped around a star of life?

Let kids be kids. When they've been in this for twenty years they'll realize how silly that Chinese character tat for "life-saver" above their butt crack really is.

Tat-free and staying that way. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
How about "EMS, sometimes we get lucky and you live" on a banner wrapped around a star of life?

Let kids be kids. When they've been in this for twenty years they'll realize how silly that Chinese character tat for "life-saver" above their butt crack really is.

Tat-free and staying that way. Peace.

I have been doing ems for 18 1/2 years and am 41 years old. I want to be a kid and play now. :rolleyes:

sandboxmedic

Forum Crew Member
tattoos

I am inked myself, and dont see any problem with it.There are a couple FF's i know with full sleeve tattoos as well. I do agree, some of the Hero statements are lame and retarded at best, like most EMS/Fire shirts (ie "if they sent us to hell we'd only put it out" and the other nonsense).
I do find it funny how some people say they would be uncomfortable if a doctor had an earring,or long hair pulled back in a ponytail. Im thinking, if your dying, you really dont give a :censored: about what I look like as long as your going to live. When i first got into EMS, i was going for my initial vote in at a volly rescue squad. At the time, being a surfer, I had semi long hair, which i kept neat and pulled back while on duty. I came to find out, there was a problem with me having long hair, and i wasnt going to get voted in. So, i cut the sides really short, and pulled it up under my hat. Spent the next 2 years running duties, won rookie of the year, became an instructor/mentor for newbies, and many more. It was great, when at our rescue banquet, i finally took the hat off amidst the gasps of disbelief. Hmmmm, apparently, as long as they didnt know, i actually worked out ok for the squad, imagine that.
Even better, had a nurse/medic proceed to tell me how "unprofessional" it was, and it looked "bad" in the eyes of the public. I asked her how "hair" affects performance? it doesnt make me stupid.
I also pointed out, that by far THE MOST UNPROFESSIONAL aspect as far as appearances go ( and she fell into this category) is being FAT and cumbersome. At least I can run up 6 flights of stairs, with equipment, work a code and make it back down. Id like to see her do that!. And as much as she went on her typical nurse tyrade of how many hours..blah...blah...MEDS..blah..blah...this one time in nurse camp. Thats fine, but if your too FAT to reach the patient your no help, if your too FAT to lift a stretcher your no help, too FAT to step up into the unit because the steps are too high and you can't physically lift that monstrosity you call a thigh, your no help.
From now on, im gonna refuse to be treated by anyone overweight in health care, if you can't take care of yourself, who can you take care of?

sorry for the long post--

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I believe it has do with image and the professionalism that is portrayed. Sorry, I live in the Midwest, and Grandma and Grandpa rather have a 400 pounder working on them than someone with tatt.'s and a ear ring.. that is the way it is.. like or not. The same going with television stations, and corporate world, looks give the first impressions. As bad as we may not want to believe it, people are ignorant to know if someone knows the cranial nerves or just how to take a blood pressure, so they base it upon image. Wrong or right, that is how the majority of people perceive things.

Professional image as well can not be overstressed. Very few times do we see troopers that have long hair, tattoo's up and down the arms.. the reason..? Again, image and what they portray. The same as many say there is no difference from a Doc wearing scrubs and wearing shirt/tie. The medic wearing a uniform versus T-shirts and jeans. Well, studies have demonstrated and shown differently. The same as people prefer and describe they trust those nurses that wear white.. There is no wrong or right, it is a personal decision, however; one just needs to be aware of it, and at least educated of the possible side effects.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
The point I was attempting to make and apperantly since many may not be aware of life or know the real world setting is that one may not get an EMS job, or be even considered because they have visible tattoo's.
<snip>
What you do in your private life is your business, but realize all things have consquences.

R/r 911
I actually completely understand, and agree, with your statements. There is a girl who runs on our department that has tattoos all up and down both arms and she does a fine job as a EMS provider. However, we have a large percentage of elderly in our jurisdiction that would prefer NOT to be under her care. Our dept. backs her, however, I've also heard stories from a guy I work with on another dept where they are not allowed to have visible tattoos. So, yeah, what you do with your own body is totally up to you, just be aware that you will often be judged on your appearance.

I honestly haven't decided yet if I'm going to get any FF or EMT tattoos yet. I have two tattoos now that reflect my belief system, but not my job. And, at the moment, none of my tattoos are visible.

sandboxmedic

Forum Crew Member
I agree, especially on the "gramma/granpa" from the "midwest" aspect. Understanding that for the most part, their concept of medicine was only home remedies. Like cutting a potatoe and placing it on a cut for example. And being stuck out in the middle of nowhere, that "old-fashioned" sense is paramount. Could definitely see image as being an issue there. So, anything flannel print or nascar is good for a uniform?....ahah just kidding..... I wonder if an overweight co-worker could hump gear to the middle of a field for a farm machinery accident without "coding" themsleves...hmmmm...LOL

jason911

Forum Ride Along
I'm a field-trainer and have been in EMS for 15 years. If I leave EMS tomorrow, I will have no regrets about this tattoo, because EMS represents a significant part of my life/history, of which I am proud to have participated.

Besides, it was a cover-up, on top of an old scar and an old tattoo which I got when I was 17. So even if I hated tattoos, it was essentially a lesser of evils, and a vast improvement over the previous "homemade" one I had. :)

job-related-118573063214108.jpg

This was custom made by me and my artist. I drew up a rough idea of what I wanted, and he polished it up and perfected it.

It was done by Johnny at Sacred Art, in Springfield, MO. I highly recommend him!

jason911

Forum Ride Along
Just wanted to add: It's concealed under my sleeve. I personally feel that tattoos do not carry nearly as bad of a stigma these days as they once did, but I do concede that visible tattoos tend to look unprofessional. If I'm hanging out shirtless at the lake with my friends, it's one thing... if I'm in uniform and starting an IV on an elderly lady, it's entirely another.

I don't condemn those who do have visible tattoos... but they are taking a chance of appearing unprofessional to others.

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
EMS and medicine is not a game, or hobby to me, nor did I just take a 16 week class to work in this profession.

R/r 911

I'm currently in that 16 week class. I agree that this is not a game, or a hobby. But please, don't equate this first step into EMS as something trivial. We all start here, and I get a sense from some of your posts that you are dismissive of the EMT course. You have posted quite truthfully that it is low on physiology, anatomy etc. I agree with that as well. But I can't help getting a bit defensive when you so casually toss away training that to me is the first step into a whole new world. Having never done anything medical before, I find the course challenging and something a bit overwhelming. I understand that my role as an EMT is one of support to higher levels of training, and I understand the limitations my training comes with. But it is worthwhile and honorable in it's own right.

Last edited by a moderator: