My first EMT job interview! HELP!!!

penny jean

Forum Ride Along
Just got the call that I have my first EMT job interview next friday. I AM SO EXCITED! ...but also VERY nervous. Applying for jobs has not been easy. It's been over a year since i completed my EMT class, and I've been waiting for the chance to interview for so long, I just don't want to blow it.

It's a 3 part interview: Written, Practical, and Oral interview

What should I expect? How do I prepare? Any advice on this would be sincerely appreciated!

Snowed_ in

Forum Ride Along
I was kinda in the same boat. It took me 7 months to get my first EMT job. I would recommend pulling out your basic book and reviewing it. Other than that just relax. It would probably help to go over some of the basic skills for the practical like CPR, airway, splinting, etc. Good Luck.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Review your basic stuff, research the company thoroughly, brainstorm answers to the typical interview questions. Get a good suit, show up early and knock 'em dead.

skills82

Forum Crew Member
My last interview had a lot of questions about what is the differences bettween thing, stuff about airway issues, and pregnancy questions. Not senerios, but knowledge of them.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
mine was basically a verbal assessment... it can be tricky if your out of basic school for months. Some interviewers are cognizant of that fact and give you leeway on the little things if you forget or fudge a little

nonameheroes

Forum Probie
researching your local protocols wouldnt be a bad thing either, and get to know your base hospital locations and that kind of general stuff as well. each company is different and I've interviewed with several so far (with no luck yet) and I've been asked all kinds of things up and down the spectrum of EMT knowledge

OP
OP
P

penny jean

Forum Ride Along
Thank you!!

Great advice everyone. I'll be studying and reviewing all week. This career switch has been intimidating to get started, so its been great to have this forum where I can get tips from real professionals in the field. I'll be back Friday to tell you how it went.

admemt1982

Forum Probie
the big thing is BE HONEST. expect to be asked why you waited so long apply for something in ems when you went through school a year ago. also if you get asked something you dont know the answer to, say i dont know. ive interviewed people before and i can smell a cocky dumbass from a mile away. i promise these people can too. the other big thing is JUST RELAX. good luck. one more thing. if the owner/manager/whatever. shows up in pajamas,,, run like hell and dont ever look back.

OP
OP
P

penny jean

Forum Ride Along
update:

IT was just about as I was expecting it to be, although I was surprised to see that out of 11 candidates I was the only girl. Is that typical? Either way, we all seemed to be just as nervous a the next.

Overall, the interview went pretty well I think. The entire process took 4 hours. First a multiple choice test, then waiting... then a personal interview and skills test, then waiting.... finally a panel interview with scripted questions. Very intimidating, but I tried to remain calm and confident ;) The toughest part was sincerely all the anticipation. I'm glad it's over and if I don't get this job, I'll be ready for the next one!

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and advice! I will know either way Tue. or Wed.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
From what I have seen yes there is usually more males then females. It may not be true everywhere but that's how it is here.

OP
OP
P

penny jean

Forum Ride Along
Wahoo!

I got the job ;) This is such a huge break for me after such a tough year. A BIG thank you to everyone for their help and encouragement.
THANK YOU!

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
congrats on getting the job

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Congratulations!