My first day is TMRW!

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
So I'm extremely extremely nervous! I start my new job as an EMT with Central Coast Ambulance tmrw. It's just an IFT company, along with CCT and occasionally some ALS in Santa Cruz County.

I have all my uniforms ready to go. Any tips or advice for a newbie about to start?

What should I bring the first day? Food? etc?

I can't remember the last time I had Butterflies in my stomach like this!

Thanks Everyone

Felix H Barba

Sasha

Forum Chief
Bring snacks. Bring water, You'll hate life if you don't and don't have time to stop.

On a side note "Just IFT". IFT transports may provide some of the most interesting and medically complex patients you will ever encounter. If you make an effort to learn, it will be the best opprotunities to learn you will ever find.

OP
OP
F

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks Sasha!

I'm really excited to start in IFT first before jumping into anything serious like ALS. I'm eager to learn and am ecstatic! Thanks :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Bring snacks. Bring water, You'll hate life if you don't and don't have time to stop.

On a side note "Just IFT". IFT transports may provide some of the most interesting and medically complex patients you will ever encounter. If you make an effort to learn, it will be the best opprotunities to learn you will ever find.

+1. My first EMS job was working IFT both as the attending on the BLS truck and with a CCT. Great experience.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Dude, good luck tomorrow. :p Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
F

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
I had a great first day, much better than I thought it was going to go. I was actually surprised how well things went. Even the emt's were surprised how well I was equipped.. with my knowledge. One of them didn't even know what a KED was, come one now! lol!

Thanks everyone!

judoka5446

Forum Crew Member
I had a great first day, much better than I thought it was going to go. I was actually surprised how well things went. Even the emt's were surprised how well I was equipped.. with my knowledge. One of them didn't even know what a KED was, come one now! lol!

Thanks everyone!

Come on dude. Me and Anthony definitely know what a KED is...

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Congrats on the Job

hows the call volume at the company?

biggest tip, try to run alot of CCT calls, youll learn alot from the RN's that ride with you! (if they are nice) CCT's tend to be the least stable and can crash at any moment.

Absorb as much as u can, with IFT's you learn alot about the Nature of Illness and all the sickness and medications.
IMHO you'll learn alot more about Sicknessess and Diseases, and what causes them with IFT rather than 911, i belive its a great foot forward if you wanna go to 911 or ALS if you do IFT first, than just going straight to 911

bring a cooler with water if you can

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry, I don't know what a TMRW is, can you elaborate?